Anyone replaced the tires on 22ton speedco wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't agree. I have tires that are 56 years old still no cracks this is an original bias ply tire for my 1964 hawk . Not a crack soft and playable. My spare from my 07 dodge never sen the light of day is crack so bad I wouldn't use it

Again. not all tires are made for the same use. The rubber compounds are different for different uses. Depending on what chemical compounds they are made from, they will age differently.

View attachment 801878
Don't agree. I have tires that are 56 years old still no cracks this is an original bias ply tire for my 1964 hawk . Not a crack soft and playable. My spare from my 07 dodge never sen the light of day is crack so bad I wouldn't use it. Garentee you take a new 60k warranty tire store it for 30 years and it will be so dry rotted you wont use it

Ever watch NASCAR? There is a thing they call tire management. They use many types of rubber compounds depending on track conditions. Drivers must watch how they drive because they can wear out any tire prematurely if they don't manage them properly during a race. Different compounds age differently with time.

Ever watch NASCAR? There is a thing they call tire management. They use many types of rubber compounds depending on track conditions. Drivers must watch how they drive because they can wear out any tire prematurely if they don't manage them properly during a race. Different compounds age differently with time.
Again no . They use different compounds depending on the weather . Sticky for cold harder for warm . New tires are synthetic not real rubber the tires are made for maybe 10 laps in NASCAR.

I'll tell you what come with me to the Lebanon valley race track . I'll show the difference between real slicks and the new slicks made my Micky Thompson.

Your arguing over the way a tire is made and what it's made of. I'm not arguing there is a difference. Just the opposite. Tires are like baking a cake. Different recipe's and how they are vulcanized or cooked result in what a tire is made to do. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Again no . They use different compounds depending on the weather . Sticky for cold harder for warm . New tires are synthetic not real rubber the tires are made for maybe 10 laps in NASCAR.

Many tires are made with different amounts of different types of rubber. Most tires do have some amount of real rubber in them at different quantities or percentages. The percentages of compounds and because many are made in different layers and vulcanized under different heat and pressure cycles and different amounts of time.
Of course they are not going to be equal. There not designed to be. A 20K mile tire is completely different as a 100K tire. Yes they use different amounts because of cost and availability of the compounds used. There is only so much real rubber produced on a yearly bassos. You can still make a tire out of 100% real rubber, but the cost would be high because there is only so much real rubber produced in the world. They have to use synthetic's to make up for the lack of real rubber that is available vs how many tires are produced. The more cars that need tires is increasing faster then how much real rubber can be produced. Few could afford a tire made of a high real rubber percentage. Making them not cost effective. There has to be a compromise somewhere.

Many tires are made with different amounts of different types of rubber. Most tires do have some amount of real rubber in them at different quantities or percentages. The percentages of compounds and because many are made in different layers and vulcanized under different heat and pressure cycles and different amounts of time.
Of course they are not going to be equal. There not designed to be. A 20K mile tire is completely different as a 100K tire. Yes they use different amounts because of cost and availability of the compounds used. There is only so much real rubber produced on a yearly bassos. You can still make a tire out of 100% real rubber, but the cost would be high because there is only so much real rubber produced in the world. They have to use synthetic's to make up for the lack of real rubber that is available vs how many tires are produced. The more cars that need tires is increasing faster then how much real rubber can be produced. Few could afford a tire made of a high real rubber percentage. Making them not cost effective. There has to be a compromise somewhere.
I agree with this . My statements were about how well the real rubber tires held up. The 100k warranty is a marketing tool. It's the tread wear not the casing itself . So if the tire sidewall fails before the tead it's not covered

Also it wasnt till the late 90s that the dot recommended that tires 5 to 7 years old be changed out regardless of miles. Wonder why?

I agree with this . My statements were about how well the real rubber tires held up. The 100k warranty is a marketing tool. It's the tread wear not the casing itself . So if the tire sidewall fails before the tead it's not covered

Also it wasnt till the late 90s that the dot recommended that tires 5 to 7 years old be changed out regardless of miles. Wonder why?
Really this is going nowhere. I stated that old tires lasted longer and you went to Nascar .

Bottom line is I have cars on 40 year old tires with nearly a crack in them while my 5 year old tires are cracked in the treads.

And I tried to explain to you why and then you disagreed. I presented you with a video that explains why tires are different. Tires have always been changing from the moment they were invented. They constantly change the recipe and how they are made and what they are made of. In an earlier post I also explained that tube tries are not as good as tubeless and flat free. I have used tubed tires and tubeless and flat free. For low speed things like wheelbarrows, splitters, lawn mowers a flat free tire is hard to beat. I have 4 wheelbarrows and 4 dollies that I use everyday. Pneumatic tires can go flat and every wheelbarrow and dolly that I have owned with pneumatic tires have had flat issues. The ones that have solid or flat free tires never have issues or flats. I was trying the present the OP with options that may save him issues in the future.
In fact just today I had to have 2 tires on my little Kabota tractor replaced because they were 34 years old and constantly getting flats dew to there age. If they were tubed tires, every flat would cause me to pull the tire apart to fix the tube. Tubeless tires can be plugged form the outside without taking them off the rim making them easier to repair. A flat free tire never needs to be fixed because it never goes flat. I also was a truck driver for 30 years and have run tubed split rim tires, tubeless solid rim tires, recaps vs new tires and have personally see the difference in all of them. The pro's and con's of all of them. High speed tires on cars and trucks are different then small low speed tires that go on small equipment have different needs and running a tubed tire that was originally designed the same way as high speed tires. Tubed tires are old school and present issues that newer flat free tires don't. Thats was the whole point. I never argued that you have some tires that have lasted you many years, I believe you. There is no reason to run an old school tubed tire on something like a splitter that sits most of the time and when it is moved it slow speed and just around the yard. Having to stop and take apart a tubed tire is a wast of time and interrupts your day. If you can find a flat free tire for that application is a far better solution. I have been running solid tires and tubed tires and tubeless and flat free tires. The only tire I have never had to stop and fix are solid tire or flat free tires. But I have had to stop what I was doing to fix a tubed and tubeless tire more times then I can count. I have never had to do that with a flat free tire. The question is, do you want to spend time taking apart a tubed tire to fix it vs a tubeless where you can plug it from the out side to flat free that never needs to be fixed. You are the one that chimed in about your 40 year old tires that still look good, and thats great, I'm glad they worked out for you. But small equipment that are low speed don't need old school tires when there are better option available. I have a dolly with pneumatic tires that have flats on them right now and I can't use it. I have had to fix them several times and the dolly now sits unused because the cost of 2 new tire and wheel combo are 40 dollars each witch is more then I payed for the whole dolly so it makes no since to replace them when I can buy a whole new dolly with flat free tires for the same price. I've been running flat free tires on my small equipment and have never once had to fix a flat on a single one. Unlike the tubed and tubeless I have used in the past. The Op can now have ideas that may help him decide on the options and pro's and con's of each type of tire.

A tubed tire no mater what size it is has issues. You have a tube in the tire that as the tire roles flexes and the tube can rub on the tire and rub a hole in it causing a flat. The tube can also move it position and cause the valve stem to kink to the side because it can slide around within the tire causing tube tire aliment issues. A tubeless tire doesn't have the same issues as a tubed tire does. But they can still get flats But they are easier to fix. A flat free tire has none of those issues. Flat free tires are just that flat free so you don't have to stop what you are doing to fix it, ever. It's really very simple. If you want to take the chance you will have a flat, by all means buy a tubed tire that you will have to take apart to fix. Or buy a tubeless tire that will also run the risk of having a flat requiring you to plug it before you can use it again vs a flat free tire that will never go flat and you will never spend any time having to fix it. It's kind of a no brainier if you ask me. Reliability is the difference.

16.5 were true splits , Two piece rims very dangerous rim if not handled correctly. Mine are three piece body ,retainer ring and bead ring. Much safer these were mostly for farm trucks . Could be fixed in the field with a few tools
Submitted just for ID purposes. I wish some of these low speed super small tires were split or had a split retainer for ease of replacement.

Attachments

• widowmaker_04.jpg
    widowmaker_04.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 519103.jpg
    519103.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4
  • a167526.jpg
    a167526.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 04822788-3586-43ec-af68-f3cb.jpg
    04822788-3586-43ec-af68-f3cb.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5
  • widowmaker_profile2.jpg
    widowmaker_profile2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4
  • split rims.pdf
    270.4 KB · Views: 1
Submitted just for ID purposes. I wish some of these low speed super small tires were split or had a split retainer for ease of replacement.

I have put enough tires on solid rims and there is a trick to how there designed and how to mount a tire on them. You have the mount them on the right side first. You mount the first bead on then there is a groove so when you mount the second bead it should drop into that pocket to allow you room to slip the second bead on without any trouble. There are designed that way to allow room to slip the tire on without having to stretch the bead over the rim. A little soapy water and the right tire tools and mounting them correctly from the right side first make it easier to mount. Once you learn how it's done and you have the correct tire tools it's not that hard at all.If I was there in person, I could show you what I mean. If you mount the tire on in the right steps from the right direction, it's not hard at all. It's kinda one of those things that you have to be shown how to do. But once you learn it, mounting even small tires on rims is pretty easy.
This guy shows you and explains it pretty well and shows you how to use the recess of the rim to your advantage.

Sb47 your points are all valid . But we were talking apples to oranges in the old vs new . Old tube bias ply tires while not having a long mileage life had a long lets say shelf life. New tires are better in every aspect except shelf life.

Solid tires an yard equipment is great thing . I just never used them .

Sb47 your points are all valid . But we were talking apples to oranges in the old vs new . Old tube bias ply tires while not having a long mileage life had a long lets say shelf life. New tires are better in every aspect except shelf life.

Solid tires an yard equipment is great thing . I just never used them .

Thats what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. That's why when you buy tires you should check the DOT date to make sure they are fresh and haven sat in a warehouse for several years.I tend to put low miles on my truck so tires tend to age out before they wear out. If you have ever seen a cut away of a tire you can see the sidewall is very thin compared to the tread part. Your basically riding on a balloon with tread on it. I was a truck driver for decades and tires are you life. It's the only part that is in contact with the road and is what gives you traction and stability. A blow out at the wrong place can mean life or death. But for low speed utility stuff you can't beat a flat free tire. I got tired of fixing small low speed tires like wheelbarrows, dollies that have pneumatic tires. My splitter never gets towed down the road. If I take it somewhere I load it on my trailer and tow it that way. It's not the tires that concern me, it's the fact there are no springs and the axles are typically poorly welded to the oil tank. If you hit a pot hole at speed, you could easily break the axle off. I would love it if I had flat free tires on my splitter like I do on my wheelbarrows and dollies. You can use green slime on low speed tires but they have to roll in order to spread the slime around the tire. If it leaks down while it is sitting, you still have to air them up and roll it around to make the slime work. The slime does work quite well though on small leaks. It doesn't work well on a tubed tire though. It has to leak a little in order for the slime to start coming out of the hole for the fibers to plug the hole and the air to dry the slime. Flat free tire are more expensive but they are maintenance free.

I have been using a wheelbarrow all my life and they typically come with a pneumatic tire and wooden handles.
The tire tends to go flat and the wooden handles expand and contract making them get lose and rot out.
Home depot sells a wheelbarrow with all steel handles and a flat free tire. They last much longer with the steel handles and the flat free tire never goes flat.
I have 4 of these that I use around the yard and wood lot. The first one I bought is over 10 years old and sits out 24/7 I've never had a flat on it and the handles are still solid as a rock. I do drill a few small holes in the bottom so rain water won't sit in it and rust the bucket out. I also drill and tap a zerk grease fitting on the axle to keep it greased so they don't squeak and roll easy. Here is a link.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Te...Handles-and-Flat-Free-Tire-C6ORUT14/202057391

Must have been all the homebrews last night.:cheers:

Ya I've had my share of old tires as in 10 year old failing on the road. Trailer tire this time . Had two go on a road trip actually picking up an old Chevy truck . Was glad the second went right at the exit a TSC was ,changed all 4 out in the parking lot. Bought them mounted 20190727_130314.jpg

Must have been all the homebrews last night.:cheers:

Ya I've had my share of old tires as in 10 year olds failing on the road. Trailer tire this time . Had two go on a road trip actually picking up an old Chevy truck . Was glad the second went right at the exit a TSC was changed all 4 out in the parking lotView attachment 802027

Down here heat is the biggest thing you have to worry about. In the summer the road can get up to 150 degrees or more and with friction adds more heat then add the weight you are carrying is very hard on tries. They also do have recalls on tires from time to time that people ignore. Besides being dangerous when a tire blows it usually tears other stuff up, like break lines and fenders.

Latest posts

Back