Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nails marked for all of my chains, then on a rainy day I start sharpening. My Stihl dealer has a chain special, buy one, get one free. I used to think he jacked the price up for the first one. Then I bought a 20" 3/8 for my MS290 at Southern States, the dealer was 3 dollars cheaper. So, now I wait till I need several chains and drive the extra 10 miles to the dealer. Then I started stacking the new chains, in their boxes, over the nails. But, I have the habit of putting the dull chains back in the boxes when I'm in my truck. Don't want to snag my new interior. Now every time I grab a box off the shelf, it's a dull one I forgot to take out and hang on the nail.

I‘ve been using these the last few years. I’m not usually cutting at home, and these help me keep them organized on the go. The one on the left is marked “dull”.
493FE93B-812A-42BB-A871-640AA82C418B.jpeg

The pouches stay in the bucket, with the loose ones being chains that weren’t dull yet when I changed bar size.
94AA962E-564E-49A3-9838-E2ADC63A0BF6.jpeg

Your post reminded me that I do have chains hanging in the garage, they’re getting pretty worn down though.
A069C3C5-3E0E-4F67-8BB9-A004DB8A6F88.jpeg
9674EE17-9441-4A4C-9F80-E9C1B761BEBD.jpeg

I use empty VHS cases for my chains. The chain boxes are flimsy.

I store my sharpened chains in zip-loc bags. The bags last an amazingly long time. Dull chains usually go in the gas/oil/wedge, etc. box. Dull ones get hung on the 'to be sharped' nail in the shop until I get in the mood.

Well my new truck/station wagon has 2 back seats lol.
View attachment 832978
Just swapped my shelf from the suburban to the excursion today along with the gobs of gear piled in the back :surprised3:.
I thought it was funny it fit. Also I had to trim a part of the smaller back piece so the door would close, which means the cargo area is smaller up to the height of the shelf, but it gets wide a little higher up and I think its taller overall.
I need to make a holder for the front of my pole saw, looks like there is a perfect slot in the console for a piece of plywood to fit, then I can cut a notch for the saw to rest in. This should keep it off the top of the middle seat and from moving forward. I may make something similar for the very back that will help keep it from moving forward even more. While it hasn't been an issue its good to think about these things.
View attachment 832974View attachment 832975View attachment 832976

can't beat that! :numberone: did u just wax it?...

I store my sharpened chains in zip-loc bags. The bags last an amazingly long time. Dull chains usually go in the gas/oil/wedge, etc. box. Dull ones get hung on the 'to be sharped' nail in the shop until I get in the mood.

I don't have any chains to hang... but did get this string of onions hung today. garden fresh Texas 1015Y's... sweet as apples. fried onions coming up... plenty fresh bacon grease from BLT bacon, too. should make the place smell like an out of the way country roads Diner... burger, fries and fried onions, too. :)

speaking of sheep 'baaa-a-a!'... my elec coop's monthly mag has a recipe section this issue. Cooking With Wine. in it is a recipe for lamb stew. uses couple #s of chunked up lamb... I got about that much in a leg-a-venison in the freezer... well, I am sure u can see where this post is going... ;)

hung today
zzho.jpg

I‘ve been using these the last few years. I’m not usually cutting at home, and these help me keep them organized on the go. The one on the left is marked “dull”.
View attachment 832983

The pouches stay in the bucket, with the loose ones being chains that weren’t dull yet when I changed bar size.
View attachment 832984

Your post reminded me that I do have chains hanging in the garage, they’re getting pretty worn down though.
View attachment 832985
View attachment 832986
I like those chain pouches there, mg! what originally came in them? canvas? they look HD! color is interesting, too... well imo

Steve, where did you find that truck with no back seat? I didn't think they made them anymore?She told me I was a cheap a$$
That's a 2009 Joe. Mrs. FS picked it out when the government did the cash for clunkers. It's the plain jane version. The only extras are AC,CD and cruise control. The first time she rode in it with me she asked where the window button was? I pointed to the handle with the knob on it. :laugh: She told me I was a cheap a$$ for buying a truck without lecktrick windows.
I haven’t heard of anyone doing that around here in a long time.
My Stihl guy does buy 2 get one year round. I asked other dealers if they did any chain deals and they told me only when Stihl authorizes it. I asked my dealer how he could do it all the time and he said Stihl says it's up to the dealers what deals to do. 3- 20" 3/8 chains run me around $55.

Unless they are brand new in box, I store all of my chains in Zip lock bags that are marked by pitch/gauge/DL. I also have a larger bag marked DULL so dull chains aren’t accidentally put back in with the sharp ones.

When I’m cutting away from home, dull chains get put on the passenger seat floor mat of my truck then go to the DULL bag.

It works pretty well.

EB6C3F28-52AB-4135-A511-6149C4BF6DF0.jpeg

View attachment 832978
Just swapped my shelf from the suburban to the excursion today along with the gobs of gear piled in the back :surprised3:.
I thought it was funny it fit. Also I had to trim a part of the smaller back piece so the door would close, which means the cargo area is smaller up to the height of the shelf, but it gets wide a little higher up and I think its taller overall.
I need to make a holder for the front of my pole saw, looks like there is a perfect slot in the console for a piece of plywood to fit, then I can cut a notch for the saw to rest in. This should keep it off the top of the middle seat and from moving forward. I may make something similar for the very back that will help keep it from moving forward even more. While it hasn't been an issue its good to think about these things.

Trade you a nice Pontiac SV6 and 500$ for good will ... Cash !!! ;)

View attachment 832978

Whoa !!!! Did you buy that from Eric in Ohio ?? He took great care of his truck. Congratulations!

My Stihl guy does buy 2 get one year round. I asked other dealers if they did any chain deals and they told me only when Stihl authorizes it. I asked my dealer how he could do it all the time and he said Stihl says it's up to the dealers what deals to do. 3- 20" 3/8 chains run me around $55.
That’s a good, honest dealer. Smart business minded fellow trying to bring in folks while the others sit back and hope to charge you full boat.

That's a 2009 Joe. Mrs. FS picked it out when the government did the cash for clunkers. It's the plain jane version. The only extras are AC,CD and cruise control. The first time she rode in it with me she asked where the window button was? I pointed to the handle with the knob on it. :laugh: She told me I was a cheap a$$ for buying a truck without lecktrick windows.

Traded my base model RCSB V6, 5speed 2wd c1500 for the cash for clunkers in 2009. Got $7k for a $1500 truck. Ended up with a good commuter and a safe ride for my first born daughter.

Now looking to trade the commuter in for a half or three quarter ton.

can't beat that! :numberone: did u just wax it?...
I didn't, the PO washed or dusted it, and it doesn't look as though it was recently waxed, maybe in the recent past.
hi chipper - did u mention the engine? did u tell 'em whatz in it?... besides all the chainsaw stuff and firewood tools?....btw, did it come with the tool rack? or your handiwork?
She's got the v-10, think I said that, but maybe not? It runs well, but likes to drink:cheers:, but I don't think its any worse than the suburban for what I haul.
I put the shelf in it, it was previously in the suburban. I built it, frame is 2x2 and 1x3 with 3/8 plywood top. It sure helps organize in the back and to utilize more of the space.
[/QUOTE]
Trade you a nice Pontiac SV6 and 500$ for good will ... Cash !!! ;)
Probably gonna have to pass, but thanks for the offer :p.

Whoa !!!! Did you buy that from Eric in Ohio ?? He took great care of his truck. Congratulations!
Yes. Are you on the forum he hangs on, small world. I'm sure he did, nice guy too. Thanks.
I got a new 2 ball adjustable hitch for it today. Eric had the weigh safe adjustable version there. Eric installed the heavy duty hitch with 2k tongue weight. He said while he had the tank off he installed a new fuel pump :clap:.
I think this is the one I got.
Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 1.02.14 AM.png

That’s a good, honest dealer. Smart business minded fellow trying to bring in folks while the others sit back and hope to charge you full boat.
He better be honest. Horse and buggy mennonite.:laugh: They cater to the large mennonite community in the area. Best prices on just about anything I need for the farm.

Yes. Are you on the forum he hangs on, small world. I'm sure he did, nice guy too. Thanks.
I got a new 2 ball adjustable hitch for it today. Eric had the weigh safe adjustable version there. Eric installed the heavy duty hitch with 2k tongue weight.

He really loved and cared for that truck. Great to see it went to a good home. I'm a member over there too. I urge you to sign up there..... it's a pretty active forum, considering Ford hasn't made an Excursion since 2005.

Latest posts

Back