ASH TREE VERTICAL SPLITS IN BARK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado contractor

Reaction score
Please help. My ash tree has been fine for 12 years.

2 years ago I planted boxwood and build a retaining wall ring with paver around the ash tree. This year several of the boxwood died (please see pic) and now there are vertical splits in the bark.

I had Davey's tree expert out a month ago. He said it's not ash bored and pointed out there are no holes (not even any really small ones). He said he would leave it alone and let the tree do its thing naturally.

The cracks are getting worse. I'm concerned to the point I've been putting plastic over the area of missing bark so water doesn't get in there.

I've called for a second opinion with another company but it's going to be over a month till they can come out here. I'm not sure the tree can wait.

Ok will do. I will get some better pictures in the morning. I was thinking of removing the boxwood and soil. Is it ok for the sprinkler to hit the area that has no bark now? Does it need a coating or tar on the exposed area? Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back