Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were the only aspen rounds I had left prior to the new cutting project that I started earlier this week. Noodled them up so I can start splitting this weekend. I’ve probably pulled 5 cords of blowdown wood out of the area over the past five years provided by a series of summer storms. Assuming the first storm damaged the roots and successive storms finished them off.
FE165FDC-3A4A-449F-AEC4-C03B00864CA1.jpeg
E6574973-C591-42C9-8BBE-F268C87FE128.jpeg

Just curious svk why are ya noodling that aspen?
Aspen rounds that have sat in the sun become much more difficult to halve by splitting axe.

If those trees were freshly cut they’d halve in 2-3 hits. Once the ends check, ten plus.

Plus I have large saws that need trigger time.

Aspen rounds that have sat in the sun become much more difficult to halve by splitting axe.

If those trees were freshly cut they’d halve in 2-3 hits. Once the ends check, ten plus.

I was expecting you to say " cause I can" :chainsaw:.

Because big saws need love too.

Maybe with a protractor and string!
So make the face cut, then put the protractor in the notch and use the string to find where it will fall, or are we using the protractor as a weight on the string like a plumb Bob to fund the lean/side lean of the tree lol.
I'd like to have more to practice on for sure.

1848d596c717e74d0b3bb4733ba3df10.jpg

9722f396c1dbc9d11cd8176ca036dc4e.jpg

6c32b3c8ca732cf0059ec7dccc02ac49.jpg

Had a load of Red Oak dropped off today from a friend in the tree business. Second pic is of the Ash that I’m still working on cutting and splitting. Final pic is of my brush fire that’s been burning for the past 3 days. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1848d596c717e74d0b3bb4733ba3df10.jpg

9722f396c1dbc9d11cd8176ca036dc4e.jpg

6c32b3c8ca732cf0059ec7dccc02ac49.jpg

Had a load of Red Oak dropped off today from a friend in the tree business. Second pic is of the Ash that I’m still working on cutting and splitting. Final pic is of my brush fire that’s been burning for the past 3 days. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You burned all your wood up :surprised3::lol:.
Looks like you have been gathering a good bit.

This is what a search for brush fire brought up, maybe you’re overstating the situation. Ha ha ha. :crazy:
Looks like its running a little rich, crank that high side in a bit:blob2:
Had a nice fire down by the river tonight. To bad the fishing wasn't as good as the fire.
20200813_203248.jpg

Blasphemy!!

My friend bought a new saw from the full service Husky dealer in town and gave them his old 61 Husky. They probably threw it away too.
I’ve got to get back up to my place in WV. The Stihl dealer that sold me the big Homelites for ten bucks a piece, had several medium sized Echos with bad modules that the customers just left. One is a 500 series and has been sitting by the front door for a year. He said if they were still there the next time I came by I could have them. Been by four times since Covid and he hasn’t been in.

So make the face cut, then put the protractor in the notch and use the string to find where it will fall, or are we using the protractor as a weight on the string like a plumb Bob to fund the lean/side lean of the tree lol.
I'd like to have more to practice on for sure.
I thought you were going to tie the protractor on the end of a string, throw it over a limb, to pull the tag line through?

Back