Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know where I can get a good check valve that pulsates the oiler on a micro series saw. I have one that is letting bar oil seep into crankcase.

Hi John. It's been a long time since we met at Gregg's great GTG in 2013

If your'e feeling ambitious you can rebuild those valves

This will let you know how to renew the valve which is becoming difficult to find.

1597367962184.png
There is a duckbill and a brass bushing inside. I searched some time ago and someone had repaired them successfully.

The one I took apart looks like this. The screen is missing. The brass (some are steel) bushing can be pulled out with a screw

The duckbill goes in flange up followed by the bushing which is stopped by a shoulder in the body and then the screen which is MIA

I cleaned and reassembled the valve parts in the order in the above pic. The duckbill is Poulan PN 530026119 which is readily available.

As mentioned previously, I had filed the top off that valve to remove the screen so I had no room to put the screen back in. I'm not sure how much debris the screen keeps out as the three I have removed had clean screens. I guess I will see if I use the saw for some length of time.

A few notes.

When the bushing, which is a slight press fit goes in, make sure it is firmly seated against the duckbill. If it is not, air will leak back to the crankcase and no pressure will build in the oil tank.

I peened the bushing / valve body to keep the bushing in place.

Some other member(s) mentioned that they used some JB Weld to put the screen back on but I was a little reluctant as I wouldn't want it to fall off and end up in a bearing

It works great.

This will let you know how to renew the valve which is becoming difficult to find.

View attachment 848229
There is a duckbill and a brass bushing inside. I searched some time ago and someone had repaired them successfully.

The one I took apart looks like this. The screen is missing. The brass (some are steel) bushing can be pulled out with a screw

The duckbill goes in flange up followed by the bushing which is stopped by a shoulder in the body and then the screen which is MIA

I cleaned and reassembled the valve parts in the order in the above pic. The duckbill is Poulan PN 530026119 which is readily available.

As mentioned previously, I had filed the top off that valve to remove the screen so I had no room to put the screen back in. I'm not sure how much debris the screen keeps out as the three I have removed had clean screens. I guess I will see if I use the saw for some length of time.

A few notes.

When the bushing, which is a slight press fit goes in, make sure it is firmly seated against the duckbill. If it is not, air will leak back to the crankcase and no pressure will build in the oil tank.

Some other member(s) mentioned that they used some JB Weld to put the screen back on but I was a little reluctant as I wouldn't want it to fall off and end up in a bearing

It works great.

Yes it has been a long time ago since we met @OhioGregg 's and how I wish he would have another but totally understand how much work, time and $ the GTG's are. I still have the Tshirts from the 2 I went to.

I did order some more duckbills and plan on trying to do what you mentioned above. Just pondering a bit ago on if I wasted my money on them because I have a good amount here for the 306/245 fuel caps and such but not sure if they are the same part # without some research.

View attachment 848229

A few notes.

It works great.

D3F259BB-8DCF-4D68-98CB-4319AD9BA7C8.jpeg

Here’s a NOS valve that I had to rebuild, then JB epoxied the midget sized screen back on. Did the same thing to the original one in the saw, and it’s screen is holding on fine.

But you’re right, the screen is not necessary as the inside of the crankcase should be spotless if you’re running a good foam air filter.

I’ve heard from friends that Poulans got their name because when you go to start them you’ve got to poulan ‘em and poulan ‘em and....

Okay, enough rabble rousing for today. Is there any interest in Poulan-branded chains/bars? I’ve got a 28 inch Poulan/Windsor b/c combo I acquired that fits my 80cc Macs and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to sell it and invest in a McCulloch branded 28 inch bar.

I’ve heard from friends that Poulans got their name because when you go to start them you’ve got to poulan ‘em and poulan ‘em and....

Okay, enough rabble rousing for today. Is there any interest in Poulan-branded chains/bars? I’ve got a 28 inch Poulan/Windsor b/c combo I acquired that fits my 80cc Macs and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to sell it and invest in a McCulloch branded 28 inch bar.

There could be some interest in that. You could put it in the classifieds and see what happens.

Back