Farmertec "Caber" rings real or fake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank346

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi folks, i was recently browsing on Farmertec and noticed they have newly available Caber rings in various sizes, so out of curiosity I ordered some. They have laser etched Caber-F on them but come in the standard Farmertec bag that has a caber part number and says Made in China. Does anyone know if caber actually manufacture in China or are these more like "Chaber", I was under the impression that Caber were supposed to be made in Italy?
I'll use and test them either way but curious to know.

https://m.farmertec.com/Search-caber/list-r1.html

hi folks, i was recently browsing on Farmertec and noticed they have newly available Caber rings in various sizes, so out of curiosity I ordered some. They have laser etched Caber-F on them but come in the standard Farmertec bag that has a caber part number and says Made in China. Does anyone know if caber actually manufacture in China or are these more like "Chaber", I was under the impression that Caber were supposed to be made in Italy?
I'll use and test them either way but curious to know.

https://m.farmertec.com/Search-caber/list-r1.html
The F rings were a bit stiffer, i remember they used to come in Baileys kits alot. In the quantity that Hutzl can buy rings in..they are probably able to get caber rings and sell them that cheap. Wolf Creek is 12.50 for a pair, Hutzl is like 6.60 a pair...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I'm in Australia so it was the cheapest way to get some, shipping from Wolf Creek or anywhere else USA is usually prohibitive. Pre covid there were a couple European ebay Caber sellers but they've disappeared.

Just measured up the 52mm ones and they are as specified given tolerance in my cheap calipers, 1.13 x 2.16mm (1.12 x 2.15 if i push hard on the thumb wheel), with 12 thou bore gap.
Compare to the ones that came with the Hyway 52mm popup I'm putting in that are 1.11 x 2.05(?) with 8 thou gap, this seems not ideal. Interesting, the Caber-tec ;-) seems to fit better and less sloppy in the piston without being tight

Resurrecting a 1 1/2 year old thread with only 4 posts and no real conclusions. I recently bought a pair of Caber rings from a Chinese vendor on ebay for an MS260. They were $8.59 delivered and arrived in a sealed Farmertec plastic bag. They were F-cast which I really didn't want. The Caber engraving was in the hollow bubble type font except for the F. The top and bottom surfaces were quite rough, with scratch markings visible to the naked eye. Photo #2 was taken with flash to accentuate the marks. The rounded gap bevels look right (#3) and the outer top and bottom outer edges appear to be chamfered, which is also right (#4). I have sent an email to Caber asking if Farmertec is a licensed distributor and will update when and if I hear back. Anyone have any info on this?

Attachments

• 20220227_222432.jpg
    20220227_222432.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220227_222311.jpg
    20220227_222311.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220227_222809.jpg
    20220227_222809.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220227_222941.jpg
    20220227_222941.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 10
From Caber:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting us.
We confirm we supplied Farmertec in the past year with our rings that were all marked Caber.
Anyway it would be very useful to see the rings that seem to you "rough" compare to the first you bought.
We would appreciate to have a look at the rings you received to let us understand if they are really our rings. Could you please start to send us some pictures? We will see if they are enough for us to understand this matter.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I sent pictures and await response.

In general what I have seen from Farmertec sort of "is what it is". If they say its Caber I believe it is. I think there are different levels in the Chinese market, the "named" market like Farmetec/Hutzl, etc. and the un-named market. The un-named market is the pig toss contest you get what you get. Unfortunately even the big name saw makers are starting to buy more and more Chinese made product just under their banner or name. Not saying its right or I like it but its there.

If they say its Caber I believe it is. I think there are different levels in the Chinese market, the "named" market like Farmetec/Hutzl, etc. and the un-named market.

So is Farmertec the same company as Hutzl?

Reason I ask is that these 45mm rings linked below are legit Cabers, standard G15H material & not F cast. Made in Italy, single bagged & laser etched.

What is confusing is that the OP’s link states “Farmertec” as the brand in their description...which smells fishy. It can’t be both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154416083172?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

From Caber:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting us.
We confirm we supplied Farmertec in the past year with our rings that were all marked Caber.
Anyway it would be very useful to see the rings that seem to you "rough" compare to the first you bought.
We would appreciate to have a look at the rings you received to let us understand if they are really our rings. Could you please start to send us some pictures? We will see if they are enough for us to understand this matter.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I sent pictures and await response.
Interesting! I wonder when farmertech will start to just clone the cabers and sell them as the genuine thing. I admit I was wrong on this one then!

Maybe they bought a lot of Cabers so they could make more passable knockoffs?

It would be interesting if you could do some testing on both from Caber and from China. Brinell hardness would be one. The others I can think of is something like x-ray defraction or atomic absorption to get an idea of composition.

Cabers response does sound like a response you would receive from Huztl. Basically using the buyers knowledge to find better ways to deceive.
The email came from the Caber website (I checked the raw source data). Judging by the grammar and syntax, I would say the export representative is not a native English speaker.

It would be interesting if you could do some testing on both from Caber and from China. Brinell hardness would be one. The others I can think of is something like x-ray defraction or atomic absorption to get an idea of composition.
A handheld X-ray fluorescence analyzer would be an easy way to tell.

So is Farmertec the same company as Hutzl?
What used to be Huztl.com is now Farmertec.com. Maybe someone told them it looked too much like "hustle", with the implied connotation.;)

The seller I bought from listed the brand as Caber, but it arrived in a sealed Farmertec bag.

I bought a 381 starter cover from aliexpress a couple of years ago, because it was slightly different than the 038 and I liked it better.
When I got it - it looked ok on the outside, but the axle that holds the starter wheel was molded metal with a chrome/nikkel finish and was inserted in to the starter cover at anything else than 90 degrees, and I had to grind away in the screw holes to make it fit. Then I had a second look at the 038 starter cover that came with the Farmertec kit and the axle was machined steel inserted perfectly straight.

Its Chinese quick and dirty, but what I think Farmertec do is to select parts based on whats the best they consider any of the many chinese manufacturers can offer.
I dont think they are a factory themselves, I think they are buying large quantities from selected providers and put the parts in a "Farmertec" bag.
That is what we would call here in the west as "quality assurance" compared to what you might get at aliexpress or ebay.
You might be happy with what you get for that cost or not, but you likely get some of the best they can offer.

If the caber rings they sell as "genuine caber rings" was not, it would sooner or later be discovered - and I really dont think they would consider that "good for business". They are relying on the western market and they dont hide behind a fiction character at ebay, so that would mean law suits and a bad reputation.
And as you know; the only thing you can truly own for all eternity - is a bad reputation ;)

Latest posts

Back