Dearly Beloved, I am in the deepest of doo doos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do these help? What would if these don't?

"3" is the old wiring.

Attachments

• saw3.jpg
    saw3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 14
It may be easier to temporarily remove the carburetor to gain access to the wire routing. Just empty the tank and the fuel line first.

Are you installing an aftermarket coil or OEM? The aftermarket is likely to have DIY wire splicing required!
After. Thanks

It may be easier to temporarily remove the carburetor to gain access to the wire routing. Just empty the tank and the fuel line first.

Are you installing an aftermarket coil or OEM? The aftermarket is likely to have DIY wire splicing required!
I know. My problem is that once I take it apart, I'm most likely going to break it or blow it up.

I'll try.

This is the new coil with the new wires it came with

Attachments

• saw7.jpg
    saw7.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 9
Do these help? What would if these don't?

"3" is the old wiring.
How do you know the original coil is bad? Could just be your buggered kill switch wiring. The other option is to just buy the correct wiring harness from Stihl. Guarantted to fit AND no splicing required!

How do you know the original coil is bad? Could just be your buggered kill switch wiring. The other option is to just buy the correct wiring harness from Stihl. Guarantted to fit AND no splicing required!

I don't, but I assumed it was because I got no spark. After finding the wired frayed, I realized it might not be the coil, but it is an old saw and with me any coil won't last long.
Good idea to buy OEM wires. Where? You recommend any place in particular and THANKS!

I don't, but I assumed it was because I got no spark. After finding the wired frayed, I realized it might not be the coil, but it is an old saw and with me any coil won't last long.
Good idea to buy OEM wires. Where? You recommend any place in particular and THANKS!
Your local Stihl dealer. You may also need the airbox grommet if it has gone missing. Check the IPL. You can get the part numbers for all the parts. Others more familiar with the 044 can tell you if there were any variants over the production run.

Can you hook your old wires to the new coil?
I thought about that. They would need an insulated coating. I could dip them in "Plastic Dip" several times. I cut them and hastily, and twisted the halves together. I could make sure they are tied tightly. I can check with the liquid plastic company or review their literature to see if it would work.

I thought about that. They would need an insulated coating. I could dip them in "Plastic Dip" several times. I cut them and hastily, and twisted the halves together. I could make sure they are tied tightly. I can check with the liquid plastic company or review their literature to see if it would work.
Heat shrink tubing for electrical wires would be better than Plastic Dip.

Did replacing the wires fix the no-spark problem?

Heat shrink tubing for electrical wires would be better than Plastic Dip.

Did replacing the wires fix the no-spark problem?
I have found 29,539 other projects to divert my attention from that particular catastrophe. I will get back to you the moment I have the guts to follow through.

Back