Chipper questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I usually post over in the chainsaw forum but have a few questions about a upcoming auction featuring asplundh chippers and some chippers from Davey Tree.

Here is the site:
http://www.edinburgauctionsales.com/current_auction_listing.aspx?auction_calendar_id=42

Now what kind of price ranges do these chippers go for? For example, what should I expect to pay for a running asplundh chipper? I know alot of factors effect the price of a chipper but if I could rough estimates, that would be great. Also, what should I check when examining the chippers. What problems should I look for?

I plan to buy one for a winter project and sell it in the spring on Ebay most likely or I will start a small tree company.

Thanks for all the help, I imagine if I get one I will be back many times with future questions

Chippers and more..

epicklein22,

How are things? I noticed that you are interested in chippers, however, not sure what your budget will be. I know you're looking at auctions, so there's a wide range there. I just wanted to give you our website in case you are ever in need (in the market) for other equipment. Just take a look at the site and let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with the search!

http://www.skycoequipment.com/usedtrucks.htm

Regards,

Make sure the engine is the ford straight six. Don't even look at it if it isn't. Those babies will start all the time even in minus 40. Those chippers you have to remember go through a lot of people. I worked for Asplundh for 7 years and groundman turnover is just stupid. Check the cutter bar the drum. If the frame is still good, then give it a go. As long as you got that six, right.

Well all of the alplundh chippers went for around 300, they were in extremely bad shape. Almost all of them had the straight 6 ford engines but they were missing parts and were in bad condition. I didn't really find anything that looked like it was worth fixing up so I passed on them. I was suprised however that the guys buying them weren't tree companies but equipement companies or scrap collectors. I had a good time and it was a good learning experience.

Back