" Crack Willow "

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do you have these nasty trees in the U.S. ( Salix fragilis ) Had a bad experience with one on wednesday, a take down, on a steep embankment, took out the top leaders, and with every cut the stems were busting open, even with an open face, I was using 2 tie in points and screwgates with the gates purposely left open for a quick release, couldnt and wouldnt use a positioning strop, gaffs dont grip them well, it was like fighting with Mike Tyson for 2 hours, so you,ll understand the satisfaction I felt when i hit terra firma, I only hope I never see one of these monsters again...Jock

I'm not familiar with that particular species. We do have willows here, and they're all very weak, soft wood. The latin name, fragilis, suggests this may be a particularly weak type, even for a willow.

Did I read your post correctly. You were tied in with two screwgate carabiners and you left the gates open? I'm not sure I understand the logic behind that, but maybe I misunderstood. Were you planning to bail out if your TIP broke? :confused:

It was a large forked tree and i didnt trust the tie ins and needed some self assurance, so therefore the open but well watched screw gates, I know no one would normally leave a screw gate open but it gave me some peace of mind at the time. Jock

I still don't get it.

Ignoring the fact that screwgates are not approved for life support, I'm still not certain why you would leave them open and how does that give you peace of mind? I would think just the opposite to be true, having to worry about the TIP failing AND constantly watching your carabiners.

Jock can answer about his reasoning but I would suggest 2 things to consider. 1. ANSI Z133 is an American standard. Jock is in Great Britain where screwgates may very well be approved (personal experience has been that screw gates don't come unlocked but climbers forget to lock them-hence our rule). 2. Jock said he had 2 T.I.P.s . If one failed, unlocked gates might make it possible to ditch the slack line before the failed branch's weight hit the end of its slack and, a. Yanked the climber around. b. caused a failure in the second T.I.P.:eek:

Back