Southern Magnolia leaves are yellowing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treerex

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on why my Magnolia is getting a slight yellow tinge to the leaves? I am located in Middle Tennessee and we had an average winter here. It has lost several leaves over the last month and it just doesn't look as healthy as it should. Any comments would be appreciated greatly.

Has there been any similar problems in the past?

It could be chlorosis, a mineral deficiency that can be treated with organic products like fish and seaweed emulsions, or salts like Miracid. I favor the organics.

Lotta rain in many areas, could the soil be staurated and getting anaerobic?

Some sucking insects can cause this condition, scales and such, bit I'll usualy do a quick look for high populations than go to a root/soil problem.

Hmmmm, you have scale on the tulip tree, maybe it is on the magnolia too?

Thanks for the info John

Didn't see any scale on the Magnolia, but wouldn't be suprised if the soil is saturated. Would you recommend a soil sample and if so, what should i be looking for in the analysis? Thanks again.
Kerry

It could be what JPS said or it could just be springtime and they are turning their leaves.

All you need for saturation is to stick a finger in, if the soil is wet, then that is bad and a drainage trench may be needed.

Different trees will respond to flooding better then others. Since I'm in the north I'm not familiar with southern magnolias responce to wet feet.

With your soil sample you should have the pH checked (Mags) need acid soils.

Are the leaves that yellowed interior or exterior to the tree?
Interior is normal leaf loss.

Latest posts

Back