White pine near retaining wall - problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some professional insight about this issue.

I have a basement entry door that has a concrete ramp that leads down to the door below grade. On either side of the ramp are concrete retaining walls. The prior occupants of the house planted a white pine approximately 5 feet from the retaining wall. At this point the tree is probably about 25-30 feet tall, with a trunk diameter of approximately 10 inches. I have not noticed any cracks or bowing in the wall yet, but I am concerned that the roots may grow into the wall in time and cause this to happen.

Do I have a legitimate concern here, or will the roots just turn away from the wall?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

There is a small to negligible chance that you will EVER have foundation/root issues. Given that you have five feet, it seems that there is plenty of space for the root plate to mature.

Take some time to search the archives and you'll find that this has been discussed thoroughly.

Tom

Thanks for the reply, Tom! What kind of search criteria would you suggest, something like "roots + foundation" or "roots + retaining wall"?

Gus,
I understand your concern. The fundemental problem is how was the wall/foundation constructed?

Block walls tend to settle and develop cracks which tree roots <u >MAY </u> exploit. If the wing wall is not tied into the foundation well as the pine grows the added weight may flex the wall.

What I'm saying is it may not be all of the trees fault if your wall/foundation develop problems.

Jay,

I think the wall is poured concrete, about 6-8 inches thick. Can't be sure, because there is a stucco finish on the inside, and clay bricks on the outside. Poured concrete is what I have usually seen in the neighborhood, and most of the homes were constructed by the same builder.

Judging by that, I would think that it is fairly well constructed. I don't know whether any drain tiles were installed, either.

Are the roots from white pines any less "invasive" than that of other species, such as hardwoods?

Change the thought from invasive to exploitive (is that a word?). If tree roots find moisture and air they will grow in that area.

That's why tree roots don't grow under properly installed pavement.

Back