“I don’t want ANYTHING to do without chainsaws”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
“I don’t want ANYTHING to do with chainsaws” I said under my breath as I walked into my stihl dealer just 4 months ago...

Knowing that I needed one, but that owning one would mean time and effort upkeeping it - something that I really didn’t want to be doing...

“I don’t care about a fancy this, that and the other. Please, just give me something that will cut some green wood occasionally, is cheap and reliable”.

Looking around I muttered, “if I have to work on or fix it i’ll be pissed!”

...I walked back over to the dealer

“Will it be maintenance free? I need one, not want, so I really don’t want to be having to spend time fussing over it.”

“Buy some pre mix fuel and bar oil and the amount you’ll be using it, it’ll outlast you...” (or words to that effect) he said.

Fast forward 4 months....

“Me again!”

As I walk into the dealer, knowing many of the staff by first name and vice versa.

“Tom you come in here more that we do!” Replied one of the mechanics

“Come to collect my $500 worth of spare parts and tools to fix the few saws I’m working on!”...

Back home I see my partner standing there waiting for me, appearing less than impressed...

“BABE, you DONT keep chainsaws in the house!!!!!!”

She said, as her face started to turn red with frustration.

“Honestly sweet heart, it’s the best place for them!! It’s warm, dry, they are expensive tools
That must be cared for!!”

“NOT IN THE HOUSE!!”

“Ok sweetheart”

I replied while collecting my bunch of saws.

“You’re right, they are outside tools! I’m sorry!”

Feeling miffed and sorry for myself and my saws, especially as I had just spent ages fixing one, I snuck them back in and stuck them on the cupboard where she wouldn’t see.

“Ok babe all done!”

Fast forward 4 months I have a trolly of tools including a mityvac kit, compression tester, IR thermometer, torque wrenches, case separator, Matt’s crank tool, bearing pullers, impact wrench, stihl oil seal puller other specialty tools, a shop press and 4 chainsaws. 1 new ms ms 180 (I brought at the start), a ms 180 saw I rebuilt from the ground up that I got for 25 dollars and is now working (but needs a new top end), one ms 250 i’ve yet to start and a ms 260 pro I’m half way through fixing that I brought from the Uk to Australia in a suite case. What the hell is going on?!?!?!

31FCE69B-9126-442D-8F2B-5F6F422B2B16.jpeg

I was the same way I got a ms 250 from my dealer for free then rebuilt the top end. Then I got my 311 from the dealer also for free and rebuilt that and now I’m just addicted iv gotten all of my Stihl’s from the dealer for free and rebuilt them. Now I’m buying saws from eBay....

The bug. The bug has bitten!
I'm guilty of that too. Though not to the extent you're at, but mine are the inner cravings for an older chainsaw that I can fix up, get running. I can't even pin down the attraction, what's the craving I have to search out saws to fix? I've been thinking of building or buying a used shed as a shop to put in the yard lol.

“I don’t want ANYTHING to do with chainsaws” I said under my breath as I walked into my stihl dealer just 4 months ago...

Knowing that I needed one, but that owning one would mean time and effort upkeeping it - something that I really didn’t want to be doing...

“I don’t care about a fancy this, that and the other. Please, just give me something that will cut some green wood occasionally, is cheap and reliable”.

Looking around I muttered, “if I have to work on or fix it i’ll be pissed!”

...I walked back over to the dealer

“Will it be maintenance free? I need one, not want, so I really don’t want to be having to spend time fussing over it.”

“Buy some pre mix fuel and bar oil and the amount you’ll be using it, it’ll outlast you...” (or words to that effect) he said.

Fast forward 4 months....

“Me again!”

As I walk into the dealer, knowing many of the staff by first name and vice versa.

“Tom you come in here more that we do!” Replied one of the mechanics

“Come to collect my $500 worth of spare parts and tools to fix the few saws I’m working on!”...

Back home I see my partners face, less than impressed...

“BABE, you DONT keep chainsaws in the house!!!!!!” My partners face was becoming an ever increasing shade of red as the anger boiled inside her”

“Honestly sweet heart, it’s the best place for them!! It’s warm, dry, they are expensive tools
That must be cared for!!”

“NOT IN THE HOUSE!!”

“Ok sweetheart”

I proceed to open the cupboard and hide them there.

“You’re right, they are outside tools! I’m sorry!”

Fast forward 4 months I have a trolly of tools including a mityvac kit, compression tester, IR thermometer, torque wrenches, case separator, Matt’s crank tool, bearing pullers, impact wrench, stihl oil seal puller other specialty tools, a shop press and 4 chainsaws. 1 new ms ms 180 (I brought at the start), a ms 180 saw I rebuilt from the ground up that I got for 25 dollars and is now working (but needs a new top end), one ms 250 i’ve yet to start and a ms 260 pro I’m half way through fixing that I brought from the Uk to Australia in a suite case. What the hell is going on?!?!?!

View attachment 773025
Uh Oh! CAD superbug Resistant to all known interventions,
transmitted from saw handle to user. Mutates regularly to other
saws

I was the same way I got a ms 250 from my dealer for free then rebuilt the top end. Then I got my 311 from the dealer also for free and rebuilt that and now I’m just addicted iv gotten all of my Stihl’s from the dealer for free and rebuilt them. Now I’m buying saws from eBay....
Wow score!!! I wish junk saws were that common here!

I should really check eBay, I just use Facebook market!

The bug. The bug has bitten!
I'm guilty of that too. Though not to the extent you're at, but mine are the inner cravings for an older chainsaw that I can fix up, get running. I can't even pin down the attraction, what's the craving I have to search out saws to fix? I've been thinking of building or buying a used shed as a shop to put in the yard lol.
Haha, sounds like you’ll overtake me if you put a shed in the garden :laughing: good work, share some pics if you do!

My misses told me I have about 50 saws in my work area, I told her just one was lonely. Needed more so others had company. I needed to create a work backlog? I hid more saws in the storage room. The ups guy delivers after she gets home from work, can’t sneak them in.

I feel I’m giving something back by making them run again. Some saws need very little to make them run. Some were $1,000 in there hayday.

Post vintage Husqvarna dirtbikes is my other hobby.

I hear you.

Right now I’ve got my cousin’s saw to rebuild, two Homelites that need work, four Huskys that need work (although two will probably end up being ported) as well as a few parts saws. Also my new Husky 130 (awaiting muffler mod and timing advance) that arrived too late to be of use for this year’s cutting.

I’m *trying* to focus on models that are both desirable for resale AND easy to fix.

I went from 2 saws to 20 in one summer. I know how you feel. It's a sickness, but I love it. I'm constantly on the lookout at garage sales and online for dead saws that need a little love. Have an MS170 on my bench needing work and I'm currently trying to get ahold of a guy with an 034 that doesnt run. Wish he would write back so I have another project.

I love this stuff!

Theres nothing like the sound of a v8 pushrod engine idling and running through the rpms.

Likewise, theres nothing like the sound of a 1 cylinder 2 stroke engine idling and working under load.

With chainsaws, its the sound and simplicity of the design that does it for me.

I cant afford a formula 1 engine spinning at 12k rpm so I'll settle for less.

Mate, there is no hope, as mentioned in my sig
Bravely fighting CAD

moneyspentsaws.jpg

And since Christmas is just around the corner. :)
chainsawforchristmas.jpg

Only thing better than getting a new Chainsaw, is hearing your 9 year old Daughter say after getting, and opening a present for Christmas, and being as polite and sincere as she can, walking up to you and looking you straight in the eyes saying to you with an obviously disapointed look on her face.

"I really like what you got me, but I really wanted you to get me my own Chainsaw Daddy"

Ahhhh, great moment :) :) :)

I went from 2 saws to 20 in one summer. I know how you feel. It's a sickness, but I love it. I'm constantly on the lookout at garage sales and online for dead saws that need a little love. Have an MS170 on my bench needing work and I'm currently trying to get ahold of a guy with an 034 that doesnt run. Wish he would write back so I have another project.

I love this stuff!
Do you find you spend more
Doing them up than they are worth? That 170 for example? I guess you go all aftermarket?

Mate, there is no hope, as mentioned in my sig
Bravely fighting CAD

View attachment 773087

And since Christmas is just around the corner. :)
View attachment 773093

Only thing better than getting a new Chainsaw, is hearing your 9 year old Daughter say after getting, and opening a present for Christmas, and being as polite and sincere as she can, walking up to you and looking you straight in the eyes saying to you with an obviously disapointed look on her face.

"I really like what you got me, but I really wanted you to get me my own Chainsaw Daddy"

Ahhhh, great moment :) :) :)
Bahah the greatest thing on Christmas Day is buying your partner (or kids) something you want, they don’t so you get! You legend (although probably not to your kids or partner:laughing:):happy:

Do you find you spend more
Doing them up than they are worth? That 170 for example? I guess you go all aftermarket?
Just depends on what it is. I will admit I've spent more money on some than they were worth, but it's just a hobby. Sometimes you get into one and want to prove you can get it running. Sometimes you start and it winds up costing more than you planned but you already have money in it, so it would be a bigger waste to quit.

The 170 I bought cheap, it only need a few dollars worth of parts and now she runs great. It had an 18" bar and chain on it when I got it, so I got a 14" bar. It didnt need it, but I wanted to.

The 461 needed a piston, I went meteor, but only because they have a good reputation and the saw was worth it.

Then some like that little Craftsman in my signature turned into a money pit so I threw in the towel on it, and never did get it running.

Bahah the greatest thing on Christmas Day is buying your partner (or kids) something you want, they don’t so you get! You legend (although probably not to your kids or partner:laughing:):happy:

Nah, dont work like that, best thing is knowing what they really like and want, and being fortunate enough to be able to get it if its appropriate at the time.
Speak their love language.

ours just happens to be noisy 2 strokes that like to bite.

Latest posts

Back