“I don’t want ANYTHING to do without chainsaws”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you find you spend more
Doing them up than they are worth? That 170 for example? I guess you go all aftermarke
That is the norm. Unless you are practically given the saw. Most saws on here are priced so out of line that for a sawbuck more you could buy a new one.

Most men like to work on stuff, it’s just the nature of the beast. Chainsaws are probably the easiest thing I’ve come across to work on with the most minimal tools needed to do so. It’s a fun hobby. I’ve got about every tool a man could have in my shop and work on so many different things. I, too, just fell into chainsaw repair. Probably because it’s cheap, so simple my 14 year old can do it, you can easily drink beer as you’re doing it, you can make money from it, and it beats the hell out of staring blindly at a television set.

enjoy the new hobby.

Spoon carving. You forgot Gumtree and most importantly word of mouth... Ask everyone. Over half my saws have come this way.

Huskybill, i get most of my toys sent to work, it saves a lot of hassle. :)

I have gone from no saws to 7 in two months. Two will be "work saws", 1 to build with my 9yo as he kept asking to help and the rest just because. (Plus an 8th coming but it is a parts donor saw for one of the seven, so doesn't count)

These things are so much fun to tinker with. I had lost the joy when it came to tinkering, now it's back and I'm happy.

Bad enough, you are a Pom that relocated to the convict Isle........ but keeping powersaws inside, hiding them from the single best person to walk into your life?
You are a sad man Tommy! :happybanana:

Just clear a space in the yard and have a double bay detached workshop built, resplendent with custom shelving and camera surveillance for your babies......... best find room in a corner in there somewhere though....... for a single bed! :laughing:

“The single best person to walk into your life”

You haven’t met her, you try living with her Bob!!! :angry:

Baha I like the rest of your post though ;)

She’s a gem really, ....I think?:D

One thing is for sure mate- she wasn't looking over your shoulder as you typed that! :laughing::laughing::ices_rofl:

Isn't a classic sign of addiction trying to hide the behavior from loved ones?

:D

Tell your lady it could be worse, i have a (cleaned) p&c plus files and tools etc over half the top of the chest of draws in our bedroom. Oh and a dremel in the bathroom. (better light than in the shed + I'm just a "hey dad, mum wants a hand with..." away)

“I don’t want ANYTHING to do with chainsaws” I said under my breath as I walked into my stihl dealer just 4 months ago...

Knowing that I needed one, but that owning one would mean time and effort upkeeping it - something that I really didn’t want to be doing...

“I don’t care about a fancy this, that and the other. Please, just give me something that will cut some green wood occasionally, is cheap and reliable”.

Looking around I muttered, “if I have to work on or fix it i’ll be pissed!”

...I walked back over to the dealer

“Will it be maintenance free? I need one, not want, so I really don’t want to be having to spend time fussing over it.”

“Buy some pre mix fuel and bar oil and the amount you’ll be using it, it’ll outlast you...” (or words to that effect) he said.

Fast forward 4 months....

“Me again!”

As I walk into the dealer, knowing many of the staff by first name and vice versa.

“Tom you come in here more that we do!” Replied one of the mechanics

“Come to collect my $500 worth of spare parts and tools to fix the few saws I’m working on!”...

Back home I see my partner standing there waiting for me, appearing less than impressed...

“BABE, you DONT keep chainsaws in the house!!!!!!”

She said, as her face started to turn red with frustration.

“Honestly sweet heart, it’s the best place for them!! It’s warm, dry, they are expensive tools
That must be cared for!!”

“NOT IN THE HOUSE!!”

“Ok sweetheart”

I replied while collecting my bunch of saws.

“You’re right, they are outside tools! I’m sorry!”

Feeling miffed and sorry for myself and my saws, especially as I had just spent ages fixing one, I snuck them back in and stuck them on the cupboard where she wouldn’t see.

“Ok babe all done!”

Fast forward 4 months I have a trolly of tools including a mityvac kit, compression tester, IR thermometer, torque wrenches, case separator, Matt’s crank tool, bearing pullers, impact wrench, stihl oil seal puller other specialty tools, a shop press and 4 chainsaws. 1 new ms ms 180 (I brought at the start), a ms 180 saw I rebuilt from the ground up that I got for 25 dollars and is now working (but needs a new top end), one ms 250 i’ve yet to start and a ms 260 pro I’m half way through fixing that I brought from the Uk to Australia in a suite case. What the hell is going on?!?!?!

View attachment 773025
You found a passion and you need to build on it.
Everyone becomes obsessive about something and never follows it to its potential.

Keep after it man and follow your passion.

Isn't a classic sign of addiction trying to hide the behavior from loved ones?

:D

Tell your lady it could be worse, i have a (cleaned) p&c plus files and tools etc over half the top of the chest of draws in our bedroom. Oh and a dremel in the bathroom. (better light than in the shed + I'm just a "hey dad, mum wants a hand with..." away)
99% of the time I tell her everything to relieve the guilt of spending money on something unecessary! Haha

@Bob Hedgecutter in fact you’ll know exactly... she’s a strong willed, stubborn Kiwi.

So? She will kick your ass if you get too far out of line, a good Kiwi woman is hard to beat in that respect........ unless you decide to live with a redhead from Norn Iron!

Back