“My saws acting weird”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I hear ya! I'm fixing other problems that likely resulted from the extreme pressures this condition exerted on the crank, bearings, motor mount bolts, etc. Gives me a new appreciation for the importance of replacing a sprocket at the proper time! This journey of repairing saws is really interesting and fun. Seems like I learn something new every day. This made me go check all of my saws again to make sure none of my runners are getting in trouble!

Well that's definetly got its use. Granddad would have welded it up and re ground it and ran it even more. Nothing ever got thrown out

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just for the sake of my own reputation....this is a saw I recently acquired as a project. Previous owner had replaced the sprocket and chain, but the saw still had problems. He gave me the old chain and sprocket that was worn out (I'd say..) The saw is currently laying on shop towels completely disassembled on my bench waiting for parts to arrive. Should be a nice saw when I get it finished.....may lose some money on it....but sure is a cheap education!!! I posted this so folks could see what happens when a drive sprocket gets worn well beyond the end of its useful life. This usually destroys the chain and the bar sprocket too!

By the way, I may have a lead on another one. Fella wanted to trade in an old Stihl but we don't do trades in the store. If you're interested.

Yeah I hear ya! I'm fixing other problems that likely resulted from the extreme pressures this condition exerted on the crank, bearings, motor mount bolts, etc. Gives me a new appreciation for the importance of replacing a sprocket at the proper time! This journey of repairing saws is really interesting and fun. Seems like I learn something new every day. This made me go check all of my saws again to make sure none of my runners are getting in trouble!
Keeping the chain real tight will break stuff also! Like cranks!

See quite a few like that. Have had a few come in with it cut all the way through the sprocket, bearing and chewed up the crank a bit.

It wouldn't happen to be an 025 w/ blown crank seals would it? :laugh:

Yup! ;) :D:D Crank seals were fine. One engine pan bolt was missing and an adjacent one was loose....so the pan separated from the block....big air leak! Wonder why the engine pan bolts came loose.....vibration and excessive stresses from a toasted sprocket and chain maybe? :rolleyes: Anyway, its getting new seals, piston, pan bolts, rear handle, etc. The build will begin shortly!

No kidding, I guess my leak detection skills need some honing. Seemed like it was issuing from the seal. At least the bearings and crankshaft are alright.

I think the seal on the clutch side may have still been stuck to the cylinder block while the bearing and crank were loose and pulling downward...which would definitely have caused the seal to leak around the shaft during your test. When I got it apart I checked the fit of the seal to the crank and it was good....of course that was after the seal had broken loose from the cylinder block and was self-centering on the crank. Oh and this is definitely the first saw I have ever seen with loose pan bolts! So don't feel bad about not catching it. Only reason I caught it was because I was preparing to tear it down....and when I went to remove the first pan bolt....it was gone. Second one was loose. Other two were still tight...but not even close to spec. I'm surprised the pan wasn't damaged.

I think the seal on the clutch side may have still been stuck to the cylinder block while the bearing and crank were loose and pulling downward...which would definitely have caused the seal to leak around the shaft during your test. When I got it apart I checked the fit of the seal to the crank and it was good....of course that was after the seal had broken loose from the cylinder block and was self-centering on the crank. Oh and this is definitely the first saw I have ever seen with loose pan bolts! So don't feel bad about not catching it. Only reason I caught it was because I was preparing to tear it down....and when I went to remove the first pan bolt....it was gone. Second one was loose. Other two were still tight...but not even close to spec. I'm surprised the pan wasn't damaged.

Ol Rob likes to run his saws, that's for sure. I was just working on an Echo top handle yesterday w/ a leaky pan seal & reed flange was leaking too. This thing had screws though, not bolts. I guess Echo's philosophy is to build saws you can fix with a scwrench.

Time to upgrade to a rim and drum? I change all my saws over to rims. Maybe it’s me but the rims seem to last longer. It could be the difference in friction/ wear.

Latest posts

Back