“New” Huskies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redgap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently bought a 257 and a 66, tomorrow looking forward to cutting some wood for the first time with the 257, and picking up the 66 at the auction house. Once I get the 66 home and check the compression, I’ll decide where to go from there...know for sure it needs a new clutch cover, but supposedly it runs. Oh well, didn’t cost much and maybe fun project.

I assume that there will be a follow-up here?
Btw, is that 66 made in Sweden or by TOMOS in Yugoslavia/Slovenia? The number tag should tell.
Interesting. I understood that a condition of the joint venture was that under no circumstance would TOMOS-made 66s be sold outside of the "Eastern Block". We did made them in Australia but using all-Swedish components, apart from the Gilardoni cylinder & piston.

Interesting. I understood that a condition of the joint venture was that under no circumstance would TOMOS-made 66s be sold outside of the "Eastern Block". We did made them in Australia but using all-Swedish components, apart from the Gilardoni cylinder & piston.

The Gilardoni open-transfer top end is basically the same that later was used on the non-xp 268 (actually on both models at the same time after the non-xp 268 was introduced (around 1991 if memory serves).

Surely the TOMOS made Husky saws generally were for the Eastern European market (+ maybe some third world markets), but there were some exceptions. Actually I can't remember having seen a Husky 66 that was made in Sweden yet - "fishing" for such an observation was the reason behind my question.
They may all have been made by TOMOS for all I have observed so far - unless my memory is playing games with me. I don't find that particularly likely though, as it would be contrary to normal practice - but I would like to see actual evidence that it wasn't the case.

The Gilardoni open-transfer top end is the same that later was used on the non-xp 268 (actually on both models at the same time after the non-xp 268 was introduced (around 1991 if memory serves).

Surely the TOMOS made Husky saws generally was for the Eastern European market, but there were some exceptions. Actually I can't remember having seen a Husky 66 that was made in Sweden yet - "fishing" for such an observation was the reason behind my question.
They all may have been made by TOMOS for all I have observed so far - unless my memory is playing games with me.
Yeah, I only discovered the existence of the Gilardoni 268 quite recently, the crankcase on that being the 272 type with EMAB ignition rather than the 266 case with SEM.

Maybe there were no Swedish made 66s. Not sure what was screened onto the serial tags of the Australian assembled 66s. I'm sure they didn't say "Tomos Yugoslavia" but I can't recall if they said "Sweden".

Ahh, follow up.

Ran the 257 today helping a friend cut some trees down and into firewood lengths. It ran like a big dog, I love it!!

Went and picked up the 66, pulled the cord and the compression seemed good. Took it home, saw it had gas and oil in it, pulled a couple times and it started right up and seemed to run strong. But then I was curious what year it was built...and I couldn’t find any serial number tags, tho it is beat up a bit...chain brake handle gone and chunk missing out of lower edge of clutch cover. No labels or tags on starter side, only ID is 66 Husqvarna on black top cover.

Yeah, I only discovered the existence of the Gilardoni 268 quite recently, the crankcase on that being the 272 type with EMAB ignition rather than the 266 case with SEM.

Maybe there were no Swedish made 66s. Not sure what was screened onto the serial tags of the Australian assembled 66s. I'm sure they didn't say "Tomos Yugoslavia" but I can't recall if they said "Sweden".

It is likely that they said "Husqvarna Sweden" on the number tag, even though they weren't assembled in Sweden - but not "made in Sweden". As I recall it, not even those actually made and assembled in Sweden said "made in Sweden" at on the tags back then.
There may of course have been a decal or attached tag somewhere, telling that they were assembled in Australia?

It is likely that they said "Husqvarna Sweden" on te number tag, even though they weren't assembled in Sweden - but not "made in Sweden". As I recall it, not even those actually made and assembled in Sweden said "made in Sweden" at on the tags back then.
There may of course have been a decal or attached tag somewhere, telling that they were assembled in Australia?
I think you're right. The 1980s tags said either "Husqvarna Sweden" "Electrolux Motor AB Sweden", not "Made in Sweden".
At that time, the labour cost in assembly, testing & packing did entitle us to attach "Australian Made" string tags to the handles.

Ahh, follow up.
Went and picked up the 66, pulled the cord and the compression seemed good. Took it home, saw it had gas and oil in it, pulled a couple times and it started right up and seemed to run strong. But then I was curious what year it was built...and I couldn’t find any serial number tags, tho it is beat up a bit...chain brake handle gone and chunk missing out of lower edge of clutch cover. No labels or tags on starter side, only ID is 66 Husqvarna on black top cover.
If there's no tag, it' possible only the cover is from a 66. Could be a 61 or 266 under there.

Yeah. 66 has a Gilardoni. If it says either Mahle or KS on the side of the cylinder base, it's not a 66 cylinder.

If there's no tag, it' possible only the cover is from a 66. Could be a 61 or 266 under there.

Yeah. 66 has a Gilardoni. If it says either Mahle or KS on the side of the cylinder base, it's not a 66 cylinder.

As far as I know that it true with that exact cylinder (the open port 66/268 one) - but on many models Husky didn't stick to one cylinder brand only back then, they often sourced them from two of the brands, and in at least a few cases from all three (Mahle, KS and Gilardoni).

I’m gonna check and see if there’s any truth to the rumor that there may be a serial # tag under the top handle. And I doubt that a thief would sell a hot saw at an auction house where there’s records of who I bought it from, but if I can’t find a serial # I’m still gonna check with the sheriff’s office for any report of a stolen saw matching this description.

Meanwhile thanks for the comments.

Thoughts on buying an unbranded aftermarket clutch cover made in China vs a genuine Husqvarna part for a few bucks more??

As far as I know that it true with that exact cylinder (the open port 66/268 one) - but on many models Husky didn't stick to one cylinder brand only back then, they often sourced them from two of the brands, and in at least a few cases from all three (Mahle, KS and Gilardoni).
That's right about the 66/268. I think the 154 were all Mahle too.
Was the 257 Gilardoni only? Their design and casting technique gave some of the advantages of closed ports with almost no extra production cost.

I don't remember regarding the 154 and 257 - but as the 257 had open transfers and was made in the 1990s it is likely that at least most of those top ends were Gilardoni.

Also, I would be surprised if Mahle was the only maker of 154 top ends. The model was made for just a few years before being replaced by the 254 though, so it may actually be the case.

The only two models that I know that all 3 brands (Mahle, KS and Gilardoni) made (closed transfer) top ends for is the Husky 262xp and the Jonsered 670 - but it is more likely than not that there were more (models).

Haven’t looked at the details on the 257 yet, which does have a serial # tag. Was surprised to get it home and take off the top cover to check the compression, and not find so much as a speck of sawdust inside. Don’t remember the exact compression #, but it was good. If not, I’d be talking about doing a 262 conversion. Dang I like that saw so far!!

Gave my 520sp to my son in law, might have to give him my Husky 55 too.

I hope they all have Swedish quality built in. I prefer made in Swedish products first. Right down to my old Husqvarna dirtbikes.

Also, I would be surprised if Mahle was the only maker of 154 top ends. The model was made for just a few years before being replaced by the 254 though, so it may actually be the case.
If every 154 had a Mahle it would be more by accident than by decision. Policy at the time was to source top ends from both German manufacturers so that a supply problem at one didn't halt production but the fact that we only ever got Mahles in our 154 assembly kits led me to draw that conclusion.

The only two models that I know that all 3 brands (Mahle, KS and Gilardoni) made (closed transfer) top ends for is the Husky 262xp and the Jonsered 670...
I didn't know that. (I was gone by then.)

All "Swedish quality", expertly cast machined and plated ...in Deutschland and Italia. :D

Yes, regarding the top ends.

Btw, as far as I know the Mahle top ends now are made in China, and the KS ones in Brazil - no longer in Germany. There may well be something that I don't know though.

Back