“New” Huskies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW my 66 has a Tillotson from Ireland.

Still haven’t put a compression gauge on it. Been busy getting an MS 192t up and running to give to a friend.

FWIW my 66 has a Tillotson from Ireland.

Still haven’t put a compression gauge on it. Been busy getting an MS 192t up and running to give to a friend.

That is the case with most saws in that "saw family" regardless of exact model, and what usually were listed as spare parts - but Husky sometimes substituted a comparable Walbro in production saws, possibly when the "correct" Tilly was in short supply - or just to buy and use enough of the Walbros to have an option at the ready (sort of the same way as with the top-ends) if a supply issue occurred.

That is the case with most saws in that "saw family" regardless of exact model, and what usually were listed as spare parts - but Husky sometimes substituted a comparable Walbro in production saws, possibly when the "correct" Tilly was in short supply - or just to buy and use enough of the Walbros to have an option at the ready (sort of the same way as with the top-ends) if a supply issue occurred.
Only ever saw Walbros on one batch of 61s in place of the usual Tilly but that's not to say it didn't happen more widely on other models in other markets.

All this reminds me of when some customers noticed that the 44 carb (and I think the 444 too) changed from US-made Walbro HDC to Japanese HDA. A few initial grumbles turned to compliments when they realised that the Japanese carbs were in fact better built and more reliable than their predecessors.

Walbros in the 262Xps

I have never seen or heard of anything but Walbro HDA in those - but that isn't evidence that it never happened. In particular, very little is known (at least by me) about the details of the very late production ones, that were made for just a few markets (Russia and Israel, that I know of) in the 2000s.

If every 154 had a Mahle it would be more by accident than by decision. Policy at the time was to source top ends from both German manufacturers so that a supply problem at one didn't halt production but the fact that we only ever got Mahles in our 154 assembly kits led me to draw that conclusion.

……

Yes, I agree - it must have been by accident if it actually was that way (which I doubt). It certainly wasn't that way with the 254/254xp.

I have never seen or heard of anything but Walbro HDA in those - but that isn't evidence that it never happened. In particular, very little is known (at least by me) about the details of the very late production ones, that were made for just a few markets (Russia and Israel, that I know of) in the 2000s.
I remembered I had this 2002 spec chart from Husqvarna India.
Still Walbro HDA120 on 262, Zama on 55 & 365Special.

Attachments

• HUSI2002_AAaa__1062516-65.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 6
I didn't think of looking at those charts - but be aware that there were different such charts for different market, and that they (Husky) had a history of not always using the listed carbs on all production saws, even for the same market.
That practice may have changed at some point, but I don't know if it had changed yet by 2002.

The older models (including the 372xp) sold there no doubt are made at Huskys Brazilian factory, not in Sweden - and may not be exactly the same as the original Swedish ones.
On Brazilian Husky saws the top ends tend to be Brazilian made KS ones, even on models were Husky never used KS ones on saws made in Sweden.

Update...just installed a new clutch cover/chainbrake on the 66, went oem instead of Chinese, for a few bucks more but peace of mind.

So while trying to sort out the oiling problem on the 66, it looks like the plastic drive gear has a bad thread. On a hunch, I pulled the oil pump off my 61 carcass, and the drive gear looks better, so gonna try that. I also substituted the oil tank weight with screen from the 61 for the one on the 66 with no screen. Interestingly, the 61 pump has a large stainless washer over the pump and then a round white plastic guard over that. Looking at a parts diagram, seems that they should've been on the 66 too. Also interesting, the 61 pump housing is marked made in Sweden and the 66 housing is marked made in Yugoslavia. My inclination is to favor the pump from Sweden...any thoughts?

Only ever saw Walbros on one batch of 61s in place of the usual Tilly but that's not to say it didn't happen more widely on other models in other markets.

All this reminds me of when some customers noticed that the 44 carb (and I think the 444 too) changed from US-made Walbro HDC to Japanese HDA. A few initial grumbles turned to compliments when they realised that the Japanese carbs were in fact better built and more reliable than their predecessors.
The walbro 17a was used on 61 ranches and some 66s other ones
in the series had a tilly hs123a or 163a

Interestingly, the 61 pump has a large stainless washer over the pump and then a round white plastic guard over that. Looking at a parts diagram, seems that they should've been on the 66 too. Also interesting, the 61 pump housing is marked made in Sweden and the 66 housing is marked made in Yugoslavia. My inclination is to favor the pump from Sweden...any thoughts?
The only white plastic guard I can think of is a part that's only fitted if the saw has an Oregon rim sprocket. The spur sprocket has a metal disk attached to the drum.
No experience with Yugo oil pumps. We made 66 in Australia but used Swedish pumps.

So I bolted it back up with the 61 pump and plastic gear, and both the stainless and plastic dust guards. Too thick...clutch wouldn’t turn freely. Tried same but with just the plastic guard...too tight. Tried same but with just stainless guard...seems just right. Now I’ll fire it up tomorrow and see if it oils.

Got back out to ID and checked the compression on my weaker 257...only 120#. So next I’ll pull the muffler and look for scoring. If the piston looks ok, I’ll probably re-ring it and see how that works; if there’s scoring I’m anxious to mod it to a 262. Stay tuned.

Pulled the muffler on the weak 257, and the piston looked fine. Checked the cylinder bolts and they were tight. Checked the decomp valve, and it looked ok but I cleaned it up before it put it back in. I can’t imagine it’s got a new cylinder kit that just hasn’t seated in yet. Guess I’ll check the compression again before pulling the jug and putting a new ring in.

Back