“New” MS261C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got it sorted out after I got a hold of the regional rep. In 2 hours he called me back and said a new version saw was on a UPS truck, be here tomorrow! Thanks for all the help guys!!

Glad to hear it! Too bad the dealer didn't want to be there good guy in the story. Oh well, there's always other dealers to do business with...

Fine result! When you fuel it up and go to cut holding saw in hand, immediately you'll 'feel' the weight difference. Sorry if we were hard on you pressing you to get the saw you paid for but its because we know how much better the new model is. The old model are great saws but the new model is not just a face lift, its got new parts & is better spec'd. Enjoy!

Just wait. Mine gained power noticably after each tank for about half a dozen tanks. :)

Agree... and I would try to find a used muffler to modify during warranty period. Otherwise you will void your warranty. After that time do whatever to the original muffler, however I believe leaving the original muffler stock would be better for resale value.

I'm sure you noticed that the new one (the latest model) has a "scalloped" clutch cover as opposed to the clutch cover on the one which was originally sold to you. That feature alone was responsible for quite a bit of the weight savings on the most recently issued MS261.
I'm glad things worked out for you!

Believe it or not, he weighed both power heads again. Said he was only swapping it if the new one was lighter. Sure enough it was 1 Lb less, so I grabbed it up. I even left him the bar and chain, all I took was the power head and new manual. Will not be doing business there anymore, sadly he is a small owner business and I chose his place for that reason. There are more commercial type places close that sell/service Stihl around me.

Believe it or not, he weighed both power heads again. Said he was only swapping it if the new one was lighter. Sure enough it was 1 Lb less, so I grabbed it up. I even left him the bar and chain, all I took was the power head and new manual. Will not be doing business there anymore, sadly he is a small owner business and I chose his place for that reason. There are more commercial type places close that sell/service Stihl around me.

Wow. That's really too bad.

Yea the side clutch cover on the Gen 2 is a dead giveaway compared to the older big dawg/hi-boy style cover on the Gen 1. I have a Gen 2 MS261 C-M and after 8-10 tanks that thing came to life, it's an entirely different saw from how it ran the first few tanks. It is by far the most used saw in my bunch, I actually cut down two larger Hackberry's with it yesterday.

I am glad it all got sorted out in your favor in the end, that was ****** of the dealer to play dumb after he most certainly pulled a bait and switch. Find another Stihl dealer to do business with in the future.

Mine has been to tree monkey and it goes like hell. Good saws stock. AWESOME ported.

Looks like I am going to have to port mine once the warranty is out, I can't even imagine how great this saw will be modified, it's a hell of a saw stock. I extended the warranty with the purchase of some fuel, but I am not sure exactly how long that is?!

Latest posts

Back