020AVP Rebuilt... Now it wont start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasInheritance

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First 911 post, well first post ever....

Grandpa Passed which means i got a plethora of old saws. He was a Tree Feller for Weyco in Springfield, OR. Retired once then went back and worked in the saw shop and retired again.

His birthdays coming up and id like to get a 020AVP and one of these 044Magnums running so my cousin and i can fall some trees at his place in memory of him, and build a log bench.

That being said i have 4-5 boxes of parts for 020AV and AVP, 044, 004 magnum, 064, 064 magnums (i think), 072 and 072AV. cases, handles, heads, cranks, fasteners, gaskets, etc. as well as a bunch of stihl tooling im not sure what there purposes are.

SO i rebuilt the saw he taught me to run when i was 10-11 years old, im 26 now. an 020AVP
Its rough as his age slipped so did his, patience. so corners got cut to keep things working so people didnt think he "Lost his touch".

So i tore this thing all the way down to crank and rebuilt with what new parts i had and plenty of like new parts.

But i got it back together and i cannot get it running for the life of me.

I have spark, New stop switch, wired in a new module, new coil, new fly wheel, gapped the coil to .018" (manual says .016-.024") new plug and high tension lead.
new piston 151# of compression, new rings, new connecting rod a head crank was used but no side to side slop.
new carb i think it was a taXXXXXX carb cannot remember the name for the life of me but it wasnt a walboro, i tried installing one of them but the nipple hit the tank nipple.

used one of his old tricks and put a teaspoon of ATF in the plug hold and bumped it with ether (was an old feller trick) or some tall tale he told me. it ran for 2-3 seconds and tried fiddling with the screws since both were bottomed out which i new wasnt right.

I pulled the H screw out all the way then ran it in 1 turn then i screwed the L screw in all the way and backed it off 1 turn the LA screw im unsure of....

last night i got it to idle for about 5-10 seconds and hit the trigger to idle it down and it bogged and died...

Now its the same not running but this time i had gas running out around the head split the case and found the rubber where the pickup line comes out broke so i replaced that 10 minutes ago and fixed that but still nothing. it fires and screams with a small spritz of ether. i plugged the carb with my finger to pull fuel in but no luck.

i need someones help the local shops are all closed with this COVID-19 issue.

can someone help me and tell me where to start as far as the carb screws?

First 911 post, well first post ever....

Grandpa Passed which means i got a plethora of old saws. He was a Tree Feller for Weyco in Springfield, OR. Retired once then went back and worked in the saw shop and retired again.

His birthdays coming up and id like to get a 020AVP and one of these 044Magnums running so my cousin and i can fall some trees at his place in memory of him, and build a log bench.

That being said i have 4-5 boxes of parts for 020AV and AVP, 044, 004 magnum, 064, 064 magnums (i think), 072 and 072AV. cases, handles, heads, cranks, fasteners, gaskets, etc. as well as a bunch of stihl tooling im not sure what there purposes are.

SO i rebuilt the saw he taught me to run when i was 10-11 years old, im 26 now. an 020AVP
Its rough as his age slipped so did his, patience. so corners got cut to keep things working so people didnt think he "Lost his touch".

So i tore this thing all the way down to crank and rebuilt with what new parts i had and plenty of like new parts.

But i got it back together and i cannot get it running for the life of me.

I have spark, New stop switch, wired in a new module, new coil, new fly wheel, gapped the coil to .018" (manual says .016-.024") new plug and high tension lead.
new piston 151# of compression, new rings, new connecting rod a head crank was used but no side to side slop.
new carb i think it was a taXXXXXX carb cannot remember the name for the life of me but it wasnt a walboro, i tried installing one of them but the nipple hit the tank nipple.

used one of his old tricks and put a teaspoon of ATF in the plug hold and bumped it with ether (was an old feller trick) or some tall tale he told me. it ran for 2-3 seconds and tried fiddling with the screws since both were bottomed out which i new wasnt right.

I pulled the H screw out all the way then ran it in 1 turn then i screwed the L screw in all the way and backed it off 1 turn the LA screw im unsure of....

last night i got it to idle for about 5-10 seconds and hit the trigger to idle it down and it bogged and died...

Now its the same not running but this time i had gas running out around the head split the case and found the rubber where the pickup line comes out broke so i replaced that 10 minutes ago and fixed that but still nothing. it fires and screams with a small spritz of ether. i plugged the carb with my finger to pull fuel in but no luck.

i need someones help the local shops are all closed with this COVID-19 issue.

can someone help me and tell me where to start as far as the carb screws?
Try turning the H all the way IN till it GENTLY bottoms then turn it out 1 turn .

Will do! Thanks!

Any ideas where to put the L and LA?
Well does it say how many turns on the saw? Go 1 turn out on each it could be a little more or less but use that as a base,if it runs tune the L very slightly till it holds an idle. If it stalls at idle turn the LA out till it holds idle. If the chain spins turn the LA counter clockwise till the chain just stops spinning.

Try richening it a bit 1 -1/4 to 1-5/16 turns out. Start it rich, turn the LA to speed it up so it stay running, then lean it back down a bit.

Well does it say how many turns on the saw? Go 1 turn out on each it could be a little more or less but use that as a base,if it runs tune the L very slightly till it holds an idle. If it stalls at idle turn the LA out till it holds idle. If the chain spins turn the LA counter clockwise till the chain just stops spinning.
Try richening it a bit 1 -1/4 to 1-5/16 turns out. Start it rich, turn the LA to speed it up so it stay running, then lean it back down a bit.
Does not. Its an old metal case 020AVP. Turn all three in GENTLY, then turn all three out 1 full turn and start there? Should i put some mix in the carb to get it fired?

Does not. Its an old metal case 020AVP. Turn all three in GENTLY, then turn all three out 1 full turn and start there? Should i put some mix in the carb to get it fired?
Sure a tiny bit of gas in the carb .Dont worry about the LA yet turn the L and the H in the 1 to 1.25 range remember where you are at as you go.

Sure a tiny bit of gas in the carb .Dont worry about the LA yet turn the L and the H in the 1 to 1.25 range remember where you are at as you go.
so i turned them in and backed them off 1 full turn and tried only 1/2 turn and 1.5 turn and it only seems to want to run on the gas im adding manually....

So the carb is bad or fuel line or impulse
And LA screw doesn't matter if its all the way in or out?

It runs but doesn't idle and touching the trigger it just bogs.

Not sure how they could be bad? they're all brand new?

Impulse line I'm not familiar with though ill go look at the manual.

So the carb is bad or fuel line or impulse

wayyy more promising! so i pulled all 3 screws out and cleaned everything up, didn't need it but made me feel good haha then i tighten all three in and backed the LA screw out 2.5 full turns and the other 2 1.25. and it fired and ran decent for 10 seconds (using manual fuel) and i turned the L screw out another .5 so its at 1.75 and it sounds good. still spinning the sprocket but it dies so its not getting fuel somewhere.

i have probably 3 more of these ticata or whatever carbs and 3-4 more walboros. i tried a walboro when i was reassembling but the fuel line (I believe is what you call an impulse line) hits the little brass nipple that connects to the tank.

Is there a way to prime these saws without a bulb? finger over the intake? cant tell if its rich or lean since it wont hold an idle?

And LA screw doesn't matter if its all the way in or out?

It runs but doesn't idle and touching the trigger it just bogs.

Not sure how they could be bad? they're all brand new?

Impulse line I'm not familiar with though ill go look at the manual.
Turn the LA clockwise until the saw idles if the chain spins back it off.

wayyy more promising! so i pulled all 3 screws out and cleaned everything up, didn't need it but made me feel good haha then i tighten all three in and backed the LA screw out 2.5 full turns and the other 2 1.25. and it fired and ran decent for 10 seconds (using manual fuel) and i turned the L screw out another .5 so its at 1.75 and it sounds good. still spinning the sprocket but it dies so its not getting fuel somewhere.

i have probably 3 more of these ticata or whatever carbs and 3-4 more walboros. i tried a walboro when i was reassembling but the fuel line (I believe is what you call an impulse line) hits the little brass nipple that connects to the tank.

Is there a way to prime these saws without a bulb? finger over the intake? cant tell if its rich or lean since it wont hold an idle?
Finger over the carb throat.

Found my issue hopefully see Mount picture

I had the tillotson installed it looks okay, not sure if i should rebuild/replace based on the condition of that mount?

the other walboros are for 044, 041, 064 not the 020. i found one i thought was decent but the plate was upside down which tells me gpa was in it and not sure if the diaphragms are in the correct orientation?

Attachments

• Carb Mount.jpg
    Carb Mount.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Tillotson Carb.jpg
    Tillotson Carb.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Walboro Carb.jpg
    Walboro Carb.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Found my issue hopefully see Mount picture

I had the tillotson installed it looks okay, not sure if i should rebuild/replace based on the condition of that mount?

the other walboros are for 044, 041, 064 not the 020. i found one i thought was decent but the plate was upside down which tells me gpa was in it and not sure if the diaphragms are in the correct orientation?
I cant tell from here would the crack cause it to lose pulse?

I’ll try and get a better picture. That broken thread is pulled up so it’s out of square .0625-.125 easy it was a little damp around the back of the carb but hard to tell if it was a leak or residue from feeding gas in the throat?

could find a mount in my stuff so I’ll try and source one from a parts saw today.

I’ll try and get a better picture. That broken thread is pulled up so it’s out of square .0625-.125 easy it was a little damp around the back of the carb but hard to tell if it was a leak or residue from feeding gas in the throat?

could find a mount in my stuff so I’ll try and source one from a parts saw today.
Well you should be able to tell just by testing the the passage for leaks.

Back