024 Carb Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17fireball

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need a little advice on a perplexing problem with my 024. I can't seem to get my low idle adjusted correctly. The saw starts cold after 2-3 pulls and idles in the 26-2800 rpm range. As the saw warms up the idle drops and i can only keep the saw running by blipping the throttle. Another interesting symptom is that when I set the saw down on a hard flat surface the idle increases. When I pick the saw up and carry it by the handle the idle starts to die. Here's what i have done to the saw: Vac check- holds well no leaks. New fuel line, filter, impulse line. Carb has been rebuilt with a Tillotson kit. Compression on the saw is 120-125 psi cold.

My 026 has similar problems. I did some research on here and found out there is a "check valve" in the carb. It isn't supposed to be open when idiling and then open when the trigger is pulled. I think the thread was called 026 irratic idiling. Hopefully this will help.:greenchainsaw:

When a chainsaw is showing those symptoms it is usually getting too much fuel and it pools in the bottom of the crankcase. While the saw is setting still it will run at idle but when picked up the fuel is sloshed up into the transfers and it will often stall. You have to find out whats causing the extra fuel thats getting into the crankcase, its flooding the saw at idle.
Pioneerguy600

One suspect part on my carb is the fuel inlet elbow. The part appears to be made of nylon or some type of plastic. My concern is that this part is not in a fixed position it can be turned 360 degrees it appears pressed into place and cannot be pulled out completely or seated flush with the carb body- is this normal? . I do not notice leakage around the part but i wonder if it somehow is allowing the malfunction that I am experiencing.

If you have an accurate and correct type compression gauge, 120 is LOW I would pull the muffler cover and check the piston. No matter what you do to the carb it won't idle or run very well.

I wanted to post a follow-up on my inital question regarding the 024 carb problem- which was erratic idle performance. I looked back through some posts on the 024 carb and took Stihl Andy's advice: Replace the Tillotson carb, which I had put a rebuild kit into, with a new Walbro WT 194. I Googled WT194 and found Cassadaga Edge & Engine in Cassadaga, NY. They listed a brand new WT194 for $34.80. They appear to have an extensive carb inventory on their web site. I placed the order via the web site and had the new carb within 3 days. Tore out the Tilly and inserted the Wally -problem solved. Started at 1 turn CC from lightly seated, saw fired on the second pull. Adjusted my H screw so the saw is pullin about 11.5K RPM at WOT. The saw idles beautifully at about 2600 rpms while sitting with no tendency to die. I hated to give up on the rebuilt carb, but sometimes you just throw good money and time after a losing proposition. Thanks again to the insight of Andy and his suggestion of the WT 194 or WT 228 as a replacement carb for the 024-026 class of saws.

tilston

I wanted to post a follow-up on my inital question regarding the 024 carb problem- which was erratic idle performance. I looked back through some posts on the 024 carb and took Stihl Andy's advice: Replace the Tillotson carb, which I had put a rebuild kit into, with a new Walbro WT 194. I Googled WT194 and found Cassadaga Edge & Engine in Cassadaga, NY. They listed a brand new WT194 for $34.80. They appear to have an extensive carb inventory on their web site. I placed the order via the web site and had the new carb within 3 days. Tore out the Tilly and inserted the Wally -problem solved. Started at 1 turn CC from lightly seated, saw fired on the second pull. Adjusted my H screw so the saw is pullin about 11.5K RPM at WOT. The saw idles beautifully at about 2600 rpms while sitting with no tendency to die. I hated to give up on the rebuilt carb, but sometimes you just throw good money and time after a losing proposition. Thanks again to the insight of Andy and his suggestion of the WT 194 or WT 228 as a replacement carb for the 024-026 class of saws.

from what i see tilston has a design flaw ive done that too take em off in past.

I just got an 024 AV Super. I can't seem to find the sweet spot with carb. adjustments. It may just be my inexperience.
I thought I might just go ahead and rebuild it, but I found this post. Do you think I should just go ahead and get a Walbro ? WT 194 for this saw ?

Last edited:
I just got an 024 AV Super. I can't seem to find the sweet spot with carb. adjustments. It may just be my inexperience.
I thought I might just go ahead and rebuild it, but I found this post. Do you think I should just go ahead and get a Walbro ? WT 194 for this saw ?

Brian, I'd try rebuilding it first as its alot cheaper and good experience. You can always but the Walbro carb. I've got an 024 that I have no running problems with, so give it a try!

Bob

Latest posts

Back