024 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrconst

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just got two used saws an 024 and an 026 have not used the 024 yet
LOVE the 026
two questions:
1what are the pro and cons of gutting the muffler on the 024
and how much [couple of holes vs cutting out all baffles]

2 air filter -orig filter is smaller than the one on the 026
should i use the one for the 026 and trim the inside of the cover
or just use the smaller one
be the way booth saws run great pulled mufflers and cyl look NEW
got booth for $140 not bad huh
thanks
brian

The pros to modifying the muffler are cooler running of the saw, and possibly more power if done right. The cons are loudness and the saw is no longer legal as far as the EPA and forestry officials are concerned. You will be surprised how many sparks will fly out of a gutted muffler with no screen. The muffler should be modified in a way such that it has two outlet ports instead of one.

Hey Huskyman!

I`m wondering why two muffler ports are better than one if you have an equal amount of open space? Just by coincedence I just modified a muffler for a Husky 345 that i just picked up to experiment with. My 4yr old son and I started by drilling two 1/2" holes in the face of the muffler, and then I let him braze a couple of 5/8", slash cut pipe stubs over the holes. Then I opened up the stock exhaust outlet by making sure that it wasn`t bent down and I trimmed all the excess metal from the opening with a Dremel and carbide burr. I found it interesting that the stock opening, inside the exhaust outlet "hood" is only about 3/8", so the addition of two 1/2" openings is significant. I fired her up and hit a log pile. WOW! The power increase is not subtle on a saw this size. I didn`t see any "pipiness", in fact, the overall powerband is much better. Next I took the Dremel and the burr and opened up those 1/2" holes to the full inside diameter of the 5/8" tube. I`m not sure if I saw any improvement at this point, but it certainly didn`t get worse and it now starts easier. I`d say that my son did a pretty good job with the brazing, especially when you consider what a pita I must have been about safety, very distracting no doubt, but I would say his fit-up might leave something to be desired. Note the odd angles of the pipes, and you can`t tell by the picture, but the slashes are reversed, which makes it look like the holes are on different planes. Oh Yeah, what about two holes vs one. Unless I`m mistaken, Ken Dunn recomended that I cut one 7/16 x 1 1/2 hole in the muffler of my new 372XP, and clean up the exhaust outlet like I did on the 345. Russ

Jusy wanted to mention that I removed the muffler from the saw every time I modified it. This might seem like a no brainer but I wouldn`t want to mislead anyone who reads the previous post quickly, and then goes at it on their own saw. Next I`m going to pull the jug and see what I can do. Russ

Re: muffler mods

Alright Russ,
Nothing makes you feel better than to spend some time on your saw and then taking it out to a log and firing it up and cut with it and saying to yourself, well damn this little puppy cuts.
IT doesnt matter wheather you use a single port, extra side port or a single extra port, it all comes out the same, less exhaust restriction, cooler running, faster cutting saw. Some mufflers dont have any room for another side port. on your 345 husky you put the ports the only place there was room for them. the reason we went to the long single port in the front of the muffler and brace on the 372 is we can install a screen and it looks like the factory did it . we did some testing when we changed the extra outlet and when we installed the screens we couldn't measure any decrease in cutting time. anyway get busy on that 372. It'll cut even better

Ken [email protected]

Thanks Ken1

Nothing makes a person feel as good as a compliment from a person who is recognized for being at the top of his field. As soon as I saw your reply Ken, my ball cap popped right off my head and now it looks like a beanie when I tried to put it back on. So anyway, how much does a new jug for a 372 Husky cost? LOL Russ
:D

russ & ken - did you guys gut the mufflers when adding the ports? i know my 136 has this weird looking "baffle" inside and im wondering whether i should toss it.

Hi Tundraotto, the 345 and 372 mufflers don`t have any baffles at all, so I`d say toss it. I really should defer to Ken on this though, since I`ve only modified this one muffler so far. A thinking man might say I just got lucky. Russ

Back