025 or 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My local Stihl dealer has a used 025, and a used 026. The 025 is cherry, the 026 is very good, with marks on the bottom. I want another saw for two reasons, first to compliment my new MS460, but mostly to teach my two sons how to run a saw. They are 13 and 15. I use it to drop a tree once in a while, but mostly cut a lot of fire wood. The 025 is $150, the 026 is $250, cost is of some concern. Which one???????

The 026 is a much better saw and will last a lot longer. If yoy're looking for a pro saw, go with the 026. If you're looking for something to knock around, the 025 wouldn't be a bad deal.

That's too much for the 026 in my opinion. Most of the used ones on eBay go for $175-200. Scarily enough, that's what the 025s go for, too. Might be able to get $250 for that 025 with some good salesmanship.

I gotta disagree with John, $250.00 is a good price for an 026. I just looked on E-bay under "stihl 026" got two saws one for $227.00 and another for $340.00 The 026's that go for less than $200.00 are few and far between, usually mis-labeled as 311Y's or stihl is spelled wrong in the auction so few people look. If the dealer is going to stand behind the saw for even as little while go for the 026, It'll still be going strong in a few years when the boys are old enough to get the firewood themselves.

Toolmaker,

You bought your MS460 because you wanted a pro saw and you paid for it knowing that it was going to last. Here lies the question why go cheap now? I also am lookin for a used 026 to compliment my 046. I have seen lots of 025's but why, why get a junk saw that will more than likely get used more than the 046. I felled a tree for my grandfather last weekend and finally broke out my dads NEW Mac (found at a store closin, dang thing is brand new 10 or so yrs old) anyways the 046 did one thing. Cut the tree down, my g/f used the Mac to cut up the rest of the tree. So, if you’re going to be doing the same thing you might as well buy a 026. The smaller saw will get more use.

However, I would try to haggle that price down a bit though. Good luck and happy hunting

O, I think I have given rise to a monster; the g/f loved runnin the saw and cant wait to do it again. Now she wants her "own" Stihl to obsess over though

Have the dealer pull the 026's muffler and make sure the cylinder looks good and then ask him if he'll throw in an extra loop or two of chain and then buy the saw. ($250 isn't an absolute steal but it's not bad either).

I wouldn't give the 025 a second look.

Confused is right. You'll spend a lot more time "behind the wheel" of that 026 than the 046.

If you're teaching your sons about chainsaws, make sure you furnish them with helmets, chaps, and steel toe boots. All that will cost you as much as the saw but it's critical to start them out right. Maybe the Stihl dealer will negotiate a discount on the accessories since there's likely to be more margin to work with than on the saws.

Well, there are three 026s in good shape in the completed auction section for under $200. Not quite the "most" I remember from a while ago, but they are there.

OK, so this guy's 026 is a good deal. I'd see if he could get a discount and buy both. Sell the 025 and make $50-100.

O.K., guys thanks for the input.As for the 026, we already looked at the cylinder/piston, and it still has the cross hatch from the factory hone. I actually know the fellow that traded the 026 in. As for the dealer, I know he will take care of me and stand behind the saw. He truly is honest as the day he was born. I have bought 5 new Stihls from him in the last 6 years. I keep trading and going bigger. (still kicking my butt for selling my 036, not even out of warranty) As far as e-bay goes, I watch it constantly, probably 6 times a day. If a new saw pops up, I know it. Truth is, I am very leary of buying a 2-stroke from god knows where. Who knows if it has been maintained??????? My opinion of a 150 to 200 dollar 026 would be that it may be shot, unless the seller does not know what he has. I think I will go with the used 026. Do you think it will have too much "SNOT" for the boys???????

13 and 15 yr old boys, I dont know if i remember right thats when I was learning with my dad's ole 610 Pro Mac. So, I would think with responsible teaching that saw will be fine.

Make sure you run the green label anti-kickback chain on it untill they are truly adept with the saw. It's a lot more aggressive with the yellow label chisel chain. You can always open up the muffler a little after they get good with it for about 20%-25% more power. :blob2:

Latest posts

Back