026/026Pro? or Husky??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to say a few words about buying from a dealer versus buying online.

I am a consumer/farm-user in search of a good saw for my purposes - cutting about 10 cords of firewood a year. I started my search by going to the websites of the brands I knew at the time. Both websites have a "pick me a saw" option - which I tried mostly for the entertainment value.

I then used the dealer locator to find my local dealer. I knew that the web prices would be better than my local dealer - but I like the idea of the knowledgeable dealer and a place to bring the saw when badness darkens my door.

The first TWO dealers I found - both sold Husky AND Stihl - were populated by people who didn't give a rats ass about giving me info and who didn't give me a "warm feeling" that they would have any better chance of fixing my saw than I would. They basically said "your choice is between a stihl 290 and this 55 Rancher. We sold three 290's this morning..."

Personally, I found the computer more helpful (it came up with the Husky 55R, Husky 351 or the Stihl 026, BTW). I eventually ended up reading this forum, where I found people who actually had information and experience to back it up.

Now my experience with dealers may not be typical, but I suspect it is not that uncommon. The people who are dealers on this message board are the kind of people I'm looking for, but they are not as common as you might think, and I suspect that they will get less common in the future.

This week I will travel about an hour away to yet another dealer - to try to find someone who doesn't suck. I don't want to buy a saw online - but if someone who is no help is going to charge me $350 USD (after tax) for a 55 Rancher, I'd rather take my chances on an online merchant who will sell me the same saw for $300. Or a better saw for the $350 I was going to pay.

I'm not that cheap - I'll pay for the opportunity to feel the saw and talk it over. But if there is no value added, I can't see not using the web.

Steve

PS - I have to say that I completely agree that if someone does give you quality service and then you give them the "bait and switch" by buying the saw online, you pretty much suck. It may be fair by the rules of capitalism, but that doesn't mean you don't suck.

Well it seems I have been missing out on this one for awhile...

Referring to the 385 carb boot problem...I have run into the same problem...as a precaution I check all my 385's before they go out the door..and have found that a little bit of pressure on the boots, and they will tear..if they were going to..other ones are perfectly fine...hit and miss problem I guess...Husky is aware of it as we talked about it at the service school last month.

Dan, your right, I'm a General Contractor. The only warrant work I do is on my own company work. I do it at no cost, I guarantee all my work to customer satisfaction or we will make you satisfied, or you will pay nothing. I HAVE NEVER HAD A CUSTOMER NOT SATISFIED!

Big, Dan, Darin and other dealers that understand that their customers are their business, as sritzau said, I wish we had good dealers like you guys in our areas, but we don't, so we have to deal where we can. I'm not going to pay someone a ton more than the product is worth while he is treating me like an idiot!

I understand the problems you have with your companies, but please also try to understand our problems with dealers that think they can charge outrageous prices.
Thanks

I don't know fellas what the root cause of this difference is. I started out with echo, then sachsdolmar and now I own a major share of Huskys. I like all the saws but some better than others. I always been told "Your heart is where you spend your money". I have been well satisfied with my Husky purchases. The Stihls look different in their design and construction. They seem less fluid and the ergonomics seem suspect to me (my opinion a Ford man). However the differences are what make this country. Keep it going as the information is Good!

most stihl dealers have heard of this concept:

monopoly=charge what you want for nothing more than selling someone elses product and be safe in knowing that no one can beat your local price as your stihl customer cant buy anywhere else but you

PS. Husqvarna = quicker and cheaper than the opposition

(this ought to bring some funny responses:D especially since its kind of obsolete to argue who makes the better saw for the money...) :blob2:

I know that this thread has about died out, but I thought that I would add that, after considering a Shindaiwa 488, A Husky 351 or Husky 346, and the Stihl 026 - I ended up with the Stihl 026. This shocked me - as I was really going towards one of the Huskies - but the compelling reason I went with the Stihl was that I found a dealer who didn't suck.

He handles the warranty registration and the work, he's open late on weekends, and is generally regarded in that area as a very reputable guy. I have to say, the opportunity to demo the saw is a something I don't mind paying extra (~$400) for.

Steve

sritzau,

congrats, the dealer is probably one of the most important parts. O and im glad you bought the better of the 3,4 saws you were lookin at.

I admit to buying a 038 mag on line. I got it through a canadian dealer who said that did not violate his contract with stihl. I have two 028 supers that I really like and have been trouble free for nearly 20 years. This forum has good things to say about the 038 and it cannot be purchased in the us so I did not have much choice. What to do if I need warranty work may be a problem because it is not a us model. I paid $440 usd.

/well, my first visit back to the chainsaw forum in about 2 months, and I quickly realized why I quit reading these threads. No matter WHO asks about WHAT, tundarotto manages to turn it into a 'Husky bashing Stihl' argument. I won't use the word 'debate', because his tune is the same in EVERY post he makes. If I could read the threads without having to read his same old tune, I would probably do so. I picked this thread because I was considering buying a new 026/ 026pro, but ran into the tundarotto machine before I could determine if there is much difference. Is there a way to 'ignore' certain users so I can get to the useful advice easily??:angry:

(I just found the 'ignore' button and was able to finally read this thread!):D

Last edited:
Brian, when reading forums such as this, you are always going to run into different types of people. Different types of people express themselves in different ways, that what makes each one of us unique, and why this forum is so popular. Just because one person expresses themself in a different manner that you may or may not agree with, doesnt mean they dont have anything useful to say. There could be no debates on all these various subjects without the likes of Ottos, Fishs, Daggers, Kens, and Walts...Each one of these guys debates in a different fashion. Just because Otto loves his huskies, doesnt make his information useless. Sometimes he comes across a little harsh..but that just our redneck friend Otto. And as you have already noticed..there is an "ignore" button, and are free to use it...however I do believe, once you read past some of the brash overtones, he means no harm and has some very valid things to say.

-Love your enemies, in case your friends turn out to be a bunch of b***ards.

How did I make the list? Was it octane, Llamas,
or bringing out vague memories of terms from
my physics major in college? Or was it just my
lust for stirring up mud? You guys are fine.
I had a friend once pissed off because I had referred
to him as an a**hole, and he was mad. I said
"Well don't take it personal, all my friends are
a**holes."
The only thing I require of my friends is that they
are alive. If one goes through life worrying about who
one might offend and alter their life accordingly, has
more serious problems than someone calling them
names.
I post on many forums, mainly giving repair advice
to people asking questions. Not so here. This is a
forum loaded with a large group of males suffering
from testosterone poisoning, and they mainly do
not seek a lot of repair advice, but do the equivalent
of scratching the ground and peeing on the neighbor
dog's bush. That is the fun of it. I give these guys a
hard time back, just as they continue their tirades.
Just keep that in mind, and Tundraotto becomes
someone else entirely. If you cannot give him
and Husky{electrolux}man a hard time with every
post you make, then you are missing the point and have
no sense of humor. Give them a hard way to go and
have fun. There is no ill fellings intended.

the 026 pro has an adjustable oiler, the 026 does not- not a problem unless you run a 20" bar, in which case I'd opt for the pro. I'm disgusted by husky- they are now selling through lowes ans sears, so you can look for their quality to go south, in my opinion. I work rental, and our Stihls live and thrive. A saw that will live in rental will last you a long time.:D

Thanks, manofstihl. I have recently gone back to climbing for a living, basically a freelance climber. I have a good climbing saw, but need a midsize for big removals. The company I'm subbing to will be responsible for the big wood saws, I just have to get it down.
I am starting almost from scratch, my old stuff got stolen a few months after I quit climbing 1 1/2 yrs ago. I had an 026 and an old 024 which I loved.
Looking at the 026pro- the compression release is a waste of space, but the adjustable oiler is noteworthy. I'll run an 18" bar, 20" is pushin' it. Now I just have to justify the $400 when my mortgage payment is past due!!!! :eek:

OK, I went ahead and called in an order for an 026Pro from my local shop. They had a list price of $454, but I talked with the manager (whom I have done business with for approx. 18 years) and he is gonna give it to me for $413. That's with an 18" bar and chisel chain, no 'safety' chain for me. I know other saws may be cheaper, or even this saw might be cheaper elsewhere, but Chuck has always been fair with me and I'm buying a saw that I can trust to run for many years. It'll pay for itself on the 1st job, I'm sure. :cool:

Back