026 Pro Hard to Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 026 pro is getting harder and harder to start. It now takes 15 to 20 pulls before it "kicks" when cold. After it starts, it runs and cuts well. won't idle very well, then stalls. Even for a "hot start" I need to choke it to get it to start. I bought this saw used, and it is in mint ondition, and my dealer (that I truly trust) said he knows the saw and doesn't even think the saw was broken in at the time I bought it. What to look for??? Maybe the suction hose??? Thanks in advance.

It could simply need to have the carb properly adjusted. Easy if yours has an adjustable carb. If it has a fixed high speed jet, buy a different carb or let Stihltech set it up for you (no one else can properly adjust those dam things).

If it won't kick over easily, try a new plug (cheap and it won't hurt).

re adjusted it ???

read the owners manual, they are set at the factory to get extra oil during " break in period". from 3 to 10 tanks of mix. then re adjust it for normal use. Screw the jets all the way in then out exactly 1 turn. It will have a power gain too, and it won't smoke as bad:D

hard start

This is beyond a simple adjustment, unless you have the screws in all the way.
Go for the pulse and fuel hoses first. I repair many of these saws by just replacing those 2 hoses. Also check the intake boot and base gasket. Replace fuel filter and sparkplug to finish the tuneup.

Still bother? How is the idle? It should Idle as long as it has gas. Try to turn the idle speed screw all the way out and kill the saw. If it stays running, start looking for an air leak or carb problem.
First place I then look is the crank seal under the flywheel. If it looks pretty oily there, I would suspect it has been leaking.

Back