026 PRO Identification Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sprocket looks trashed. pull it off and take a better photo of it. While you are at it Pull off the clutch drum and look for the oiler worm drive notch in the edge of the drum. If it is there you have the "pro" oiler... The first good news today!

Im very disappointed. I will just pass it to someone who can take advantage of all these various parts. I wont sell it as a functioning saw. Tony already gave up on it..... he is out the cash. Im out for just a filter. The CL guy periodically posts.... I will be waiting.

PS. You guys have been a fantastic resource and I really appreciate it!! I would have chased my tail for no forseeable return. Thanks again!

Im very disappointed. I will just pass it to someone who can take advantage of all these various parts. I wont sell it as a functioning saw. Tony already gave up on it..... he is out the cash. Im out for just a filter. The CL guy periodically posts.... I will be waiting.
You might get some of your cash and time back by selling the usable parts on Fleabay. The pro oiler "kit" might get you $100+ but you'll need to replace the sprocket.

Im done. Ive got three other saws to keep me busy. The quicker this is out the door...the better. There is a chainsaw carver guy right down the road. I think uses 026s quite a bit. He will be thrilled. Lol

Looks like you may just have the wrong filter. The one you have is the non compensating filter, which needs a knob rear cover. It also has no hole for the compensator, thus the hole worn in it. The correct Filter should have a hole for the pipe from the carb. That filter will also have the little beak for the rear cover.

That Franken saw is a mis-mash of 026 parts, some that don't function together.

You need to sort out weather you want a compensating or non-compensating carb, then get the proper cover/filter/tank vent that work together.

The cylinder and cover match up for a cyl with decomp. Some monkey scratched up the piston with a sharp object as seen by the ex port picture, the vertical marks are something the saw ingested, came loose, or from debris left inside when the saw was worked on. You can look for casting marks on the base of the cylinder to see if it is OEM, there also should be an A or B stamped on top of cylinder denoting size.

I can't see an adj screw for the oiler from your picture. As mentioned you can pull the clutch cover/ drum and see if the oil pump has a drive wire to the drum.

The original starting problem, could just be that the choke was not functioning due to the cobbled up air filter, as it started with (cringe) ether.

That Franken saw is a mis-mash of 026 parts, some that don't function together.

You need to sort out weather you want a compensating or non-compensating carb, then get the proper cover/filter/tank vent that work together.

The cylinder and cover match up for a cyl with decomp. Some monkey scratched up the piston with a sharp object as seen by the ex port picture, the vertical marks are something the saw ingested, came loose, or from debris left inside when the saw was worked on. You can look for casting marks on the base of the cylinder to see if it is OEM, there also should be an A or B stamped on top of cylinder denoting size.

I can't see an adj screw for the oiler from your picture. As mentioned you can pull the clutch cover/ drum and see if the oil pump has a drive wire to the drum.

The original starting problem, could just be that the choke was not functioning due to the cobbled up air filter, as it started with (cringe) ether.
If you'll notice a few posts ago he said he's through with working on the saw, fyi.

If you'll notice a few posts ago he said he's through with working on the saw, fyi.
My main point was that the choke not functioning is why it wouldn't start without a prime.

If the cyl was OEM and not shot, not a hard fix if you had proper used parts handy. That or a dandy parts saw for someone fixing a 026.

It‘s not the worst mismatch I have seen.

I see metal at the oil pump pickup, so it must be a PRO model someone tossed an 026 tank on.

The jug looks AM to me, the top center boss is always machined flat on the 44mm decomp jugs. I have seen that boss rounded, but generally only on non decomp 44.7 jugs which would only be original on late 260’s, not 026.

If you got it for nothing, it’s not gonna cost that much to get it going. For the tank, you can buy the wider filter with the proper compensating hole in it. You’ll need to modify the tall black tank vent to make that filter work, it’s not the end of the world. There should be a red flapper valve under that tank vent opening. You should be able to see a tit popping through from the outside. Some have even used a piece or tubing and popped a small echo mushroom tank vent into the factory 026 tank hole. The flapper valve does most of the sealing for the vent operation. You could literally add any type of breathable fuel resistant material into that hole to keep debris out and call it a day.

No sure on that carb though. They usually slide right into the tank with some sort of grommet. Not sure why the tank was molested with a grinder to make it fit. I think that may be a later Zama carb for the MS260, or an AM variant.

So, in the end my bet is that you have an 026 PRO case with an AM top end. They added an older 026 tank to it, put some other carb on it, and thought up that ingenious wood screw to hold the rear cover on. The airfilter screws on the wide one sit flush, those older ones stand-off and the older rear locks between them.

Latest posts

Back