026 PRO Identification Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicknTroyNY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me a Stihl 026 "pro" because he flat out couldnt start it. He bought it from a Craigslist ad. The guy had a ton of saws and charged a fair price. But.... I think he gave Tony a mishmash of parts that ran great that day....
I could start it ...but only after a ton of pulls and a shot of ether. (I know its bad... just wanted to hear it run) It ran great. So after reading every thread on this forum (THANK YOU!!!!!) I have a much better grasp of this issue and how to attack. Here is my hang up: The only s/n i could find was on the frame by the bar. See picture below. Based on another thread I expected to see a number starting with 11..... Instead I have 241032725. Do I have the right number?
So I went to the local dealer for a new air filter. Part #1121 120 1618 It was to wide . Another dealer suggested it was Part #1121 120 1611 Wont pull the trigger on this till I talk to you folks. :)
Missing all the parts on the tank vent.... will address after I talk to you folks. :)

I dont think this is a Pro. The filter is cobbed on... and the filter cover is cobbed on to the filter lol....

Im hoping for a positive ID so I can move forward with the correct parts diagrams.

If I can get this saw right for reasonable amount I will give it back to him with a bow on it. As a neighbor there are none better than this old fella!!!!

Attachments

• sthl2.jpg
    sthl2.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 53
  • stihl1.jpg
    stihl1.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 52
  • stihl3.jpg
    stihl3.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 55
  • stihl4.jpg
    stihl4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 58
You need the older version of the air filter. The wire mesh filter would be 1121 120 1611 or the fleece filter would be 1121 120 1612. The tank vent would be 1121 350 5800.

I really appreciate you taking the time to get this info. Gonna start putting together an order. :D

Also , your airfilter cover will not work with the older small airfilter, your saw will need the airfilter with the round knob on it. PN, 1121 140 1902

I found that part number on Ebay... right in the header the seller wrote "does not work on an 026 Pro" Interesting. Bringing the saw to the dealer tomorrow. He has the correct filter..... hopefully he will have the cover.

I found that part number on Ebay... right in the header the seller wrote "does not work on an 026 Pro" Interesting. Bringing the saw to the dealer tomorrow. He has the correct filter..... hopefully he will have the cover.
Your rear handle /fuel tank assembly is not off a PRO model, its an older red lever/master switch that used the small airfilter and a tall black tank vent so the PRO cover will not fit unless the airfilter is swapped. Then the tank vent will not fit or work with the bigger filter. Many parts can be swapped around on these saws but most times the parts may not all work with the others. Does the oil tank use a flippy cap or a screw in cap?

Your rear handle /fuel tank assembly is not off a PRO model, its an older red lever/master switch that used the small airfilter and a tall black tank vent so the PRO cover will not fit unless the airfilter is swapped. Then the tank vent will not fit or work with the bigger filter. Many parts can be swapped around on these saws but most times the parts may not all work with the others. Does the oil tank use a flippy cap or a screw in cap?

It is a screw... no flippy.

If it is a screw in cap on the oil tank it is not a MS model , just a regular 026. I have never seen a PRO model with a red lever switch but anything could be possible due to swapped parts. The PRO model would have an adjustable oil pump, the rear handle could be a swapped in part but I have not seen a PRO model with a red lever master switch. I have owned,rebuilt and gone through over 35 of these 026`s, repaired even more of them for other owners and they can have many different airfiltercombinations along with different fuel tank vents.

You need the older version of the air filter. The wire mesh filter would be 1121 120 1611 or the fleece filter would be 1121 120 1612. The tank vent would be 1121 350 5800.
You also need the older version of the air filter cover... As you found out that one won't fit properly.

Oh boy.... lol

So how do i determine what filter to use? The first gentlemen ran the s/n and came up with the model.... BUT... it has been bastardized so now it is a non pro ?

Oh boy.... lol

So how do i determine what filter to use? The first gentlemen ran the s/n and came up with the model.... BUT... it has been bastardized so now it is a non pro ?
It never was a pro. Your saw pre-dates the introduction of the Pro variant. You need the narrow air filter to accommodate the tall tank vent and the older "round knob" AF cover. THe AF cover may/may not still be available from Stihl but you should be able to find a used one from a member here or on Fleabay.

OK..... now I get it. Neighbor bought a 1999 026 that someone later pulled apart and put together using a PRO filter and cover. So I confused the issue by telling the stihl dealer it was a PRO and he gave me the wide filter. I will pick up the narrow filter tomorrow and hopefully get the round knob cover from the dealer if avail. Already found it on ebay.... will give dealer a chance first.

edit: the more I think on this... The saw DID have the right filter.... its the cover. lol The guy cobbed a PRO filter cover on to make it $50 sexier. MF'r

No, It's BOTH! That screw in the back of the filter isn't supposed to be there either.
The right cover should bring it all back together? The s/n search said it was for "professional" use but the date of manufacture precedes the Pro designation. It takes the narrow filter so a correct cover will bring er back to spec. Hopefully. Lol

Just went through some of the same issues when I changed carbs on my 026 pro. The filter cover needs a filter with a little plastic nose. That only comes for the 2 screw carb with compensation port. The filter you have is for the screw on filter cover (Older) and no compensating port. I put the 3 screw carb (wt194) on and it needs the filter without the compensating port. Unfortunately that filter doesn’t have the plastic nose needed to hold the filter cover on.
the easy fix was to use the compensating hole filter so the filter cover fits and make a plug to block off the compensating port. Was a 5 min job on my lathe. i can post pictures if you need them.

Latest posts

Back