026Pro Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOPEMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the forum and have just purchased my first saw. I have used several different saws for cutting firewood as a kid, but never have needed one for myself. The problem is I think that I may have made the wrong choice. I purchased a 025 which I thought would be fine for just general clean-up and the some personal firewood. I am somewhat dissapointed in its power and think that I should have went with the 026 Pro. In fact, I probably will end up buying it and trying to sell the 025. For those of you who have used both, will I find a very noticeable difference in the way these two saws cut? What should be my limits in size with the 026 with mainly red, white oaks and maples? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

First- The 025 is a 'consumer' model. It is not built to the same quality level as the 026. Mostly, odd numbered models with orange handles are consumer models. Even numbered models with white handles are pro saws.

Second- Stihl has two trim levels for the 026. The 026 and the 026Pro. For your extra $40 difference, you get a decompression valve and an adjustable oiler. I think the carb is a little different also. Both trim levels perform the same and have the same internal parts.

OK, now that we have a better idea what we are comparing, I can tell you that the 026 is a rock-solid saw that will last you a long time with basic maintenance. I run an 18" bar and .325 pitch chain on mine and it runs great. Some guys will even run a 20" bar on this saw.
As for the 025, 16" should be about right, an 18" would be pushing it.

Whatever you do, DON'T let them talk you into an 029! They SUCK!

OK, now you are going to get several opinions trying to get you to try a different brand, as well as some Stihl users. There are good reasons why STIHL is the best selling saw in the world, and the 026 is one of their most popular models.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
OK, now you are going to get several opinions trying to get you to try a different brand, as well as some Stihl users. There are good reasons why STIHL is the best selling saw in the world, and the 026 is one of their most popular models.

I hear Poulan makes a sweet saw called the Wild Thing:D
It will outcut an 026, or a 260 or whatever they are called nowadays:p

welcome the the SITE!! you will notice a big differance in power between the 025 and the 026, i would go with the 026 instead of the pro model because like brain said $40 for a decompression valve. unless you are a decrepent old man you shouldn't have any problem starting a 48cc saw!!! so why spend the extra $40 on a decompression valve??? spend the $$ on a couple extra chains:) i would run a 16'' bar on it for a little more power and speed, plus i find on a saw that size that i don't need any more bar length than that:angel:

Hi shopeman,

It takes 10 to 15 tankfulls to break in your saw, very rarely will it put out all it's power and run full out until it has been broken in and this applies to any new stock saw no matter what the brand.

Not sure which models and HP you are comparing your saw to but if I remember correctly the 025 pumps out 3 hp. It only has 0.5 hp less than the 026. That 025 is a nice saw for a consumer/homeowner and will do a fine job if maintained properly and operated within the limits it was designed for and is not abused.

If you do opt for an 026 do not spend extra cash needlessly on the PRO version as a regular 026 is a great saw minus a couple of useless gadgets on the PRO series.

Give the saw and yourself a chance before doing anything.

If it came with an RM series chain, change it for an RS series you will cut in my opinion about 50% faster, you will be much happier with the RS chain.. LOL :cool:

You will not be disappointed with the 026. Like the guys already said, stick with the 026 non - Pro, you will really like it. We have 2 in our "fleet" of saws and always a pleasure to use.
Let us know what you decide
Good Luck!

Hi shopeman,

Went to Stihl web site and your 025 came with RM2 chain as I suspected, this is reduced kick back chain and if you were use to 3/8" chain on those old saws you ran as a youngster I can understand your dissapointment.

Ask your dealer for .325 RS chain to fit your saw and your 16" bar and run it again you will find an incredible difference.

Let us know how you make out as the RS chain should help you knock'em dead :blob5:

I have both the 025 and two 026's and like all of them. If you have already made an investment in a saw stick with it til it breaks in. I would make sure you are running a good, sharp chisel chain like oregon LG or a semi-chisel like oregon DG. Open up the muffler, remove all the restrictions, and increase the size of the opening. I have done this to mine and with 16 inch bar I often cut 20-25 inch oak and maple with no problem what so ever. I am not saying that the 026 is not a more durable saw than the 025, it is. But for a ten pound saw sold for consumer use the 025 does and excellent job.

Regards,

GeorgeW

Guys,
Thanks for such a quick response. I have seen a couple of people suggest opening the muffler. How is this on the engine? Can I expect the saw life to decrease? ThankS!

Saw life will INCREASE, not decrease. EPA mandated muffler restrictions hurt the saw. Many of us just want to make the muffler like they USED to be before the EPA screwed them up.

In order to meet mandated emissions limits, mufflers are restricted to the point of creating additional heat to help burn off some unburned fuel in the muffler, before it escapes. This creates a big pressure cooker in your muffler, and restricts the flow of fresh fuel into the cylinder as well. So the saw is designed to partially self-destruct in order to please EPA.

howdy shopeman - I agree with the previous posts - trade in the 025 for and 026 (non-pro) if possible. The 025 is miles away from a 026 as far as durability.
The non pro does not have the decomp valve, which is useless on any saw. The valve may gum up and cause a lean running condition which might end up in a burned piston. The intellicarb feature only encourages poor filter maintenance and is kind of a gimmick - better off buying another filter and exchanging them often and cleaning them both when your done. If they dont give you a good trade in, sell it on ebay and buy a husky 346xp which is faster cutting saw than either one and much more bang for the buck.

Definetly go to the RS chain. Also have the dealer make sure the saw is not too lean, have had to change some jets. However, you may be happier with the 026 if the saws you ran before were larger displacement. I am having very good luck with either saw.

Dont they have some kind of satisfaction pieriod? i think its like a royaly pieriod or something. Were if you buy a saw and dont like it you can take it back and get another model? and get ALL of the money you spent back twards the new model . I know husky works like that but i dont know about stihl. Maybe you should check it out. it has to be with in a so many day pieriod though and i dont know how long that time is. Good luck

A vote for the 260 pro saw with out the pro label. You would not likely need the artic version with decompression (saw starts easly anyway but maybe useful feature for a climbing saw).

Opening up the muffler will gain you 15% maybe even 20% with a bit of xaust port clean up

I have tried the 260 with RS chain both .325 and 3/8 on 16 and 20" bars with good results.

Timberwolf

Arborman,

Don't know about the USA, here in Canada it's a 7 day return policy, 100% money refunded. :Eye: :Eye:

I have an 025 I use for limbing. Most everyone is steering you straight when they say to open up the muffler and run a chisel (RS) chain. I was disappointed with my 025 when I first got it. After speaking to Ken Dunn and following his advise on muffler mods I really like the power to weight performance the 025 has with a 16" bar. The 026 is a better, more powerful saw, with more performance potential but you can almost buy (2) 025's for the price of one 026. For the occasional user (1-2 X's per week) a modified 025 does a great job. If you do go with the 026 I wouldn't spend the extra money on a Pro, I wouldn't go bigger than an 18"bar and I would definately still do the muffler mod. That's my two cents.

Originally posted by HUSKYMAN
I hear Poulan makes a sweet saw called the Wild Thing:D
It will outcut an 026, or a 260 or whatever they are called nowadays:p

Huskyman,
Have you been running your saws inside again?

Go outside and breath deep for 30 minutes and then come back and re-read what you wrote.

Huskyman,

Stay out of the marijuana field it's really gotten to you.

Elux do make good saws, but not in the way you put it.

That's a god awful comparison. ;)

Pulan wild thing

I have a Pulan wild thing; it’s not wild! I am using it to train my wife, so that she can graduate on to the 036! The 026 is a great saw, and despite what you all say the pro is faster than the consumer saws I know! I got a MS390 for camping its the largest cc consumer saw Stihl makes, and the 360 Pro is so much faster and more powerful (ands its about 3cc smaller) lighter, and just a joy to stand behind. Don't get me wrong the 390 will wipe the pulan out of the country, but when I need power, and fast cutting speeds the 036 pro is there, so shopman go to the stihl dealer make them demo the 026 pro put it into some wood, and then run the 025 behind it, if you like the feel, then get it. Lastly keep the 025 that's an awesome saw when fine tuned, and purring like a kitten with chisel chain. I don't like to ask advice about chainsaws; because everyone is so different do what you like, and what you feel comfortable handling. Oh one more thing, the decompression valve is a pain in the ace however, if you clean and care for your saw on a regular basis take that thing out and wipe it off with some carb cleaner (it gets nasty)!-Matt

Back