028 AV Super WoodBoss eq - oiler problem, service manual??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a couple of them that ran really well, don't know why I sold them.
It's one of the several saws that Stihl should never have discontinued. I sold one of them in 2013. Within a year, the buyer reported to the police that it was stolen from his equipment storage shed. The police called me for the serial number. I had it on file and reported back. Regardless, the saw and the thief were never found. Here's a Pic of that saw:

Note that is has no chain brake. That makes it a little older than the one shown in my Pic above. Regardless, it ran flawlessly when it was sold.

This is last one I got. It was in a fire but runs great. 028 AV but not Super. I have all parts to replace but may not if I keep it....character. been running snot out of ituploadfromtaptalk1470916054750.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470916063424.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Seems 8 -10 of these 028`s have found their way into my collection, WB`s,AV`s and Supers. I liked them for their reliability but never use them any more since I got into porting 026`s. The 028`s are very reliable solid saws but they are painfully slow compared to modded 026`s and the 026 is so much more lighter and nimble.

My 028 is running so well again. I'm loving it. Except for the "slight" oil leak out the bottom. I have taken some pix as Harley requested, and will post them in a few hrs.

028-badge.jpg

This is the badge plate on top of my saw. I read folks here talking about their 028, or 028 Super, or 028 AV, or 028 WB. And then there is mine, labeled 028 AV Super Woodboss. I've read on the site a description of some of the differences, but am still unclear.

028 encompasses all. Earliest were not antivibe, didn't have chain brake and had points ignition vs electronic. 028 has 44 mm piston and cylinder. Super has 46. I think that is an earlier Super as it still has Wood Boss. Later didn't. Look on feebay for 028 shroud and you get idea how many name plates there have been. uploadfromtaptalk1471008727612.jpg

I have only one saw in my arsenal that truly beats the Stihl 028 Super when it comes to a larger Hp/Wt ratio -- my "new" Husky 353. It weighs less and has the same or more grunt. The Stihl 361 has more grunt but weighs more, so it's in a different class. I fear that the Husky 353 is hard to beat as an all-around good firewood saw. Now that I've made Stihl owners upset, please forgive me.

I've had several Huskys and they keep up with the Stihls pretty well. I too own a 353, paid an awful price of $20 for it but it's a great saw. My other ones are a 346XP and a 362XP, they do well also..One of my Stihl saws that surprised me is my MS280, that thing's a great firewood saw!

I've had several Huskys and they keep up with the Stihls pretty well. I too own a 353, paid an awful price of $20 for it but it's a great saw. My other ones are a 346XP and a 362XP, they do well also..One of my Stihl saws that surprised me is my MS280, that thing's a great firewood saw!
Haven't seen many ms 280's

My nicest 028, I don`t run this one as I have many more that are not quite this nice.

J3MxyQmV9YamlzPZBtk7RQV2eBgUaok1_P1S5I4inhryqAVshvM6eAnb_ElF8sQDf2mnYH1cTjMHOwlBAZhwFD0icd0rOekd4bRll9AxgDjal-n67Z26q6mMIaB2h5oZ9MIbu-twbgL-oYQXaiO0Cbw7Jxs5E7Y49MqEB6pLgrf-D7x6d41wxaNwRvnGFmT2lB_lfOyOrWg93kYQVsCTr1TP31olJ1Fm4XaGo9t5dxc7Q_Aot-nyjHBl_JJu7C7kl5hDSQX-s89MC2czy5nlTRLrnkzUhopTEqX0mQTOHXZucZ7MpDJDbEG5FR1IxRWtcuXMoTlgcwZD3NaApUKsZfl7g7xksKixTQnka5yqxFSTQeBYLVmoToIFuKBo4YetDYfFDD-7i7DGOnlkpDXx1dffXCDH0ll_BkezWF4Qp1DSlAE_eDkVvNn01_d2kuk7q-U3p1_NHJs53obqkjJuvyjRq7HKXNc-BSb6Y8DI7-tQzgIcHAefWPAhy9z2ctBTb8zQ8CClXLU7lH3V6GA8Ti1KgTwscPtLBx7wOHDzhXtxSWBGLQzJMevH6gDMBzFsPZq8CcO-67qqo_JS9CnZNxS5Bw=w1743-h978-no

Haven't seen many ms 280's

Yeah, I hadn't either until I spotted this one at a flea market. I've heard they had an A/V that was too soft and caused problems but I haven't noticed it on this one, but I don't use it that hard, just a little firewood cutting. MS280 001.JPG They have quite a bit more in my opinion than the 028 but nothing much from the 028 will fit this saw.

Yeah, I hadn't either until I spotted this one at a flea market. I've heard they had an A/V that was too soft and caused problems but I haven't noticed it on this one, but I don't use it that hard, just a little firewood cutting. View attachment 519283 They have quite a bit more in my opinion than the 028 but nothing much from the 028 will fit this saw.
Does it have a date of mfr? Late enough to have ^!#^$&% flip caps

You paid $20 for a Husky 353 that runs? Tell you what. I'll triple your money by paying you $80 and cover the shipping, Fed Ex ground. Is it a deal? When can you ship?

Oops! Maybe you made a typo. You meant to write $200 not $20. Right?

2000. Nah, just kidding. It was $20 and it wasn't running, it had a crack in the fuel line which they didn't find and just sold it to me as non-running. I guess they thought it had a more serious problem. I got the other two at a more reasonable (for them) price but still not bad. I'm not really trying to sell any of the Husqvarna saws right now, already sold my 357XP and 359, both pretty good runners also.

Back