028 AV Woodboss: Runs terrible, blows gas into the air filter???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmboy21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A while back, a guy I go to church with gave me an 028 AV Woodboss EQ. He thought it was blown up for whatever reason. It was free and came with a STIHL hard case, so I didn't care. Turns out the plate under the carb diaphragm was completely full of sawdust. It came out like a biscuit. The diaphragm looked good, so I just put everything back together. I took all the plastics and electronics off and clean everything and re-assembled the saw. It's got good compression and spark. Piston and Cylinder looks good from both sides and I modded an 028 Super muffler and put on it. Tonight I decided to try and start it. It would start, but that was about it. I messed with the fuel screws and nothing seemed to help. It "ran best" with both screws at 1.5 turns out....it wouldn't idle at all, just died. It would try to run at WOT but just sprayed fuel out the carb constantly and just basically sputtered enough to stay running.

So I'm not really sure what to do or what to check. The saw is in excellent condition, now that it's cleaned up. I'm thinking it had about 160 psi of compression and the air filter is clean. I tried running it with the filter off and it just sprayed fuel all over. Any ideas? Thanks.

Its a carb issue id say. The needle arm isnt adjusted correctly or the diaphram is bad or carb is plugged somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Its a carb issue id say. The needle arm isnt adjusted correctly or the diaphram is bad or carb is plugged somewhere.

That's what I'm thinking, unless it somehow got out of time. I'll take it apart and swap out the diaphragm and check the setting on the metering lever.

The gas spitting back out is big tell on a carb issue. I cant remember which one did that to me but im pretty sure i ended up bending the needle arm up and the needle never closed.

Replace fuel line and filter. If Walbro, Carb kit K 10 WAT is full kit, K 20 WAT is diaphragm, gaskets. Clean well with carb cleaner. Donyboy73 has good vids of 028 work. The choke is in the air filter with spring flap. With filter of check be sure flap closing and spring responsive.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back