ArboristSite.com Sponsors

028 Basket Case - Help

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Bob95065, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Bob95065

Bob95065 ArboristSite Guru

A friend told me he took his dad's 028WB to a hardware store thst is also a Stihl dealer and repair shop. The saw was stored for a long time and wouldn't start. They called him and told him parts weren't availible and they couldn't fix it. The saw he gave them in one peice was returned in a box completely disassembled.

I dont understand why they had to take the clutch springs off and completely disassemble the recoil starter but they did. If they could remove a fastner they did it.

Does anyone have an IPL and service manual for this saw? I have most of the bag of screws figured out but I want to be sure.

20200111_113653.jpg 20200111_113647.jpg

2. HarleyT

HarleyT Tree Freak

Looks like it is in decent shape. Put up a pic of the piston through the exhaust port. And the ignition parts.

3. Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger Timber Baron

Did they invoice you for the disassembly?
    If not that was nice of them to have cleaned it up for you.
    Maybe they used it as a demo in a chainsaw repair course and should reimburse you accordingly.

pioneerguy600 likes this.
  4. irhunter

irhunter ArboristSite Operative

Step 1: find different dealer.

5. Bob95065

Bob95065 ArboristSite Guru

It isn't my saw.

My friend was charged $40. They told him the Tillotson carb was no good and had to be replaced with a Walbro. Crazy talk. There was a list of parts to replace that they said are NLA.

The piston isn't scored and the cylinder looks good. I pulled the cylinder off the crankcase. The piston has evidence of leaking rings from the dark stains below them. I'll re-ring it, new rubber everything (crank seals, fuel line and filter, impulse line, carb boot, etc.), base gasket, carb kit, air filter, etc. It will run like new.

I hate to see a decent saw scrapped due to inexperience. This isn't the first time I've seen this from these guys too.

Woodslasher likes this.