028 points delete, newer coil, still won't start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did a points delete and it ate 2 triggers. Put on a coil from an 029/290 and it doesn't want to start. I can't even get it to pop on cold choke and then it floods. With just a small touch of start fluid it'll fire right up. Then it will restart. Idles good, accelerates, good power in the cut. Restarts 1 pull when warm. Have about 130-140 lb compression. Clean piston,cylinder. Why won't this sob start cold?

Did a points delete and it ate 2 triggers. Put on a coil from an 029/290 and it doesn't want to start. I can't even get it to pop on cold choke and then it floods. With just a small touch of start fluid it'll fire right up. Then it will restart. Idles good, accelerates, good power in the cut. Restarts 1 pull when warm. Have about 130-140 lb compression. Clean piston,cylinder. Why won't this sob start cold?
Have you checked the little choke flapper in the air filter?

My mechanic budy took a look at it. Wasn't sure how it choked. Stuck his thumb on the carb intake and it popped and ran. Then he started looking at the filter and the little choke flap wasn't sealing too well. It did get a new impulse line and carb kit last fall. Fuel line is good. I'm pretty sure it's the filter choke flap. Might be able to tighten it up some or get a new one. Thanks for the heads up boys. It was driving me nuts.

My mechanic budy took a look at it. Wasn't sure how it choked. Stuck his thumb on the carb intake and it popped and ran. Then he started looking at the filter and the little choke flap wasn't sealing too well. It did get a new impulse line and carb kit last fall. Fuel line is good. I'm pretty sure it's the filter choke flap. Might be able to tighten it up some or get a new one. Thanks for the heads up boys. It was driving me nuts.
Yep Yep, that’s an easily over looked one, and it will make you pull your hair out, and start doing silly stuff to get it back running.

Latest posts

Back