028 sthil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best big bore kit?

• Real experience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No arm chair q.b.s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maintenance supervisor

Every 100yrs, All new people...
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to find out what pistons and cylinders interchange with the 028 super av. There are alot of kits on the market now and I am interested in real world experience with them ,NOT" I heard blah blah blah works "answering !
Even if some other models bores or motor work.

I'm starting this thread to find out what pistons and cylinders interchange with the 028 super av. There are alot of kits on the market now and I am interested in real world experience with them ,NOT" I heard blah blah blah works "answering !
Even if some other models bores or motor work.
You know where I can find parts for an 028 super wood boss. Already tried Webb and dealer

I used to have six Stihl 028 chainsaws. I only have one left. I sold the rest. Average selling price was about $230. All the owners at one time or another have told me that they love their saws and use them a lot. Plenty of power and dependable. One guy who bought one said he had a 290 Farm Boss and dumped it because the 028 beat the pants off of it.

I used to have six Stihl 028 chainsaws. I only have one left. I sold the rest. Average selling price was about $230. All the owners at one time or another have told me that they love their saws and use them a lot. Plenty of power and dependable. One guy who bought one said he had a 290 Farm Boss and dumped it because the 028 beat the pants off of it.
I agree with that, I have an 028 av and a Super and they definitely cut above their class.
After using 5 or 6 other brand saws the 028 is impressive and performed better than most saws its size or even larger in CCs.
With than being said I started this thread to see if anyone has rebuilt one using any AM kits or swapped parts around with other models, but I suppose this thread could just be about how Stihl nailed this one.

... I started this thread to see if anyone has rebuilt one using any AM kits or swapped parts around with other models, but I suppose this thread could just be about how Stihl nailed this one.
When restoring a saw that I sold, I have occasionally used an AM carb and the fuel lines and filters that came with it. No problems at all. One required an AM piston and cylinder kit. That worked also. Two years ago I replaced a clutch with a broken spring. That worked. I suppose I could mention several more instances, but I cannot recall any major failures witn 028 AM parts.

Back