028WB Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbus5sp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been working on an older 028 with the mag tank and handle for awhile now and I can't seem to get the idle speed low enough to not spin the chain. The saw just screams when I start it and when i turn the idle screw down it kills the saw long before the chain stops spinning. This saw obviously doesn't have a chain brake so I'd like it to stop spinning. I'm thinking it has to be a carb issue...anybody got ideas on what I'm missing?

Also I'm cleaning up the muffler which was nasty and I was considering painting it. What kinda paint should I use? Or is this a bad idea?

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a few things going on here. If the carb hasnt been cleaned with a new kit install recently I would start there,(the LO circuit could be partially blocked or blocked all together) also the Hi and Lo screws has a starting point of 1 turn out from lightly seated.
It could also be an air leak. I have seen several saws that will run as long as the throttle is consistently being bumped.... because of an air leak.
Do you have a tach? If so how low can you get the RPMs before the saw dies?
Does the saw start normal?

Im not fan of painting mufflers (I cant stand the smell of the paint burning for the next 4-5 tanks of fuel). But I if you wish pre heat the muffler, with a torch or set it on your wood stove then paint it with high temp/ header paint.

I terms of the saw starting normally it will start on full choke and then gurgle and I'll flip it up to the running position so I'm thinking it starts fine. As soon as I get my tax return a tac will be ordered but I'll start with the carb and go from there. Thanks for the guidance.

While you're in there, check all your lines for leaks. That's an old saw. Might have dry rotted the rubber. Fuel line, impulse, intake boot......

I would kinda agree with redfin. If it runs good other than clutch continues to spin and not slow down at idle I would think clutch springs but first check the bearings on the clutch. I've seen them dry and dirty and a not stop condition existed. Clean and lube and recheck...if it still spins, clutch springs. I've seen this on several 028s with correction being a little time with clutch mait. and cleaning/lube.

z71mikes online also...air leak on these saws cause a lot of unusual symptoms with what you describe being one.

If its of unknown past and you don't know the history of the saw, by all means a carb kit may do wonders. I may have got ahead of my self.

Paint the muffler as Redfir suggested, its a good way to upkeep the saw and maintain it. Your working on it to bring it new life...if its worth it do it...you'll be glad you did. Fun to restore a saw you can use.

Good Luck and make it a FUN project!!!

Once I get the clutch cover off what should I look for to know that the clutch springs are weak?

e6u9y4e5.jpg

I popped the jug off and had this little present waiting for me.

Back