031 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnses

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
not a short post but here goes....I always chime in when someone is in a all out battle with a old 031...there cool when the run good but oh they can be trouble. Its the saw I coined the phrase "boschitis" for cause I experienced all forms for it on my own 031 build at on time! Story is fixed up and old 31 pretty rough....ran real nice..for awhile. Same time period real nice 032 parts saw arrived on my bench...Great bigger top end for the 31..swapped it out. Bout that time developed the old "runs till hot" winter saw I figure...Try find a nice points 031 coil...figure out I can remove the black coil off the metal of a good 028 coil and swap it to the 31 metal part that fits the saw....Did it ran all the time even when hot but not always great up top....fit newer style condenser to replace old....not much better but this stuff over a long period of time. Fit a nova chip run good even nice but not quite the sweet spot of oem....Saw sits fro a long time...year or so. Saws and builds come and go....life is well great! So at some point I figure back to fresh points and cond. and should be awesome...Nope runs out nice no load tunes fine in the wood steady misfire....Ok you win....During all this time get a load of Partner parts from closed out dealer...in those parts some new bosch condencers that are giant. I test one using the reverse polarity trick with a analog volt meter and I figure "oh this is it" Mounted the condencer outside the flywheel its so big....big fat blue spark...ran it the other day one tank cuts in log for tune then cutting down some stumps...ran great just like a 031 would that sucked me originally!.They are a neat old saw and have a nice sound too this ones a little weird but I finally got it....
hope ya got some humor out of it!

the can

Back