031av won't do...anything

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what i have
a5c2c530aec824b9bfd230554bf8f2cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

031's have a notoriously bad ignition problem, start with a new chip and points. There are lots options for the chip, check you-tube for more info.I just changed out the carb on a friends 031, it now runs like new, even has an early type chainbrake that has a neutral, never seen one before!

Its dead nuts in time, did it 3 times slowly and they break right there.
809e5684737a636867b7086d0b8f604b.jpg

Unfortunately that means it was in time all along.

So you say you have good spark, good timing, good fuel, good compression and still won’t fire? You need to back track as you have clearly overlooked something.

exhaust and intake is clear? Fuel is good? You’re adding fuel to the crank via the intake and not too much and flooding it? You keeping the saw on high idle? Spark plug is clean and not wet?

Hold the saw at WOT and pull it over a heap.

I think i figured it out....

The gas i was using was 40:1 91 ethanol free, from the pump 2 days ago, motul800 oil...

I walked away from the 031 for a bit and pulled out a poulan pro i worked on yesterday, it started hard and didn't want to idle til hot...same gas.

I dumped the mix into my wheelhorse, got a gallon of fresh out of the 5g can I filled up at the same time, mixed it 50:1 with opti2 and 2 pulls it lit off like nothing.

Same gas, same pump, same time...stored in the same shop, 1 mixed with Motul..1 with opti2.

Im wondering if there was some kind of phase separation with the motul. I dumped the tank on the poulan pro and there looked like...opaque globs in it, that tank was sparkling clean when i added mix to it.

About ready to put a 50cal thru this Godforsaken thing...

Now...it has intermittent spark, which before, it had consistent spark.

I have a nova2 chip coming for it but I'm seeing now that it won't work possibly on this model.

Anyone of yall put a Nova2 chip in one of these?

I never tried the chip, because it takes a different one that works on the 032, and my aftermarket suppliers only carried the one.
Great, sounds like im SOL on that.

Well...we'll call it a lesson in not dicking around with old stihls, i should have known better, every single time I try and bring back any old saw, i end up regretting it.

Also note that the points need to be filed smooth before setting the gap. During operation material transfers from one contact to the other making for a jagged surface. If you attempt to set the gap like this it will end up being considerably wider than it should be which may effect spark quality.

Also note that the points need to be filed smooth before setting the gap. During operation material transfers from one contact to the other making for a jagged surface. If you attempt to set the gap like this it will end up being considerably wider than it should be which may effect spark quality.
I took them off and used 800grit to polish them clean. It sparks but not at cranking speeds, using the drill it sparks nice. Night and day from how it was this morning...had nice low rpm spark.

I took them off and used 800grit to polish them clean. It sparks but not at cranking speeds, using the drill it sparks nice. Night and day from how it was this morning...had nice low rpm spark.

You likely have a bad coil or bad cap. You can try an automotive cap or another small engine cap mounted externally to see if it makes any difference. Isn't the cap wire also the kill switch wire?

Also have you checked the HT lead from the coil? If you unscrew it from the coil tower it should read zero ohms to the center electrode of the plug. Also look fro cracks/damage to the wire. You may also see issues with your drill motor in a dark garage/room.

Latest posts

Back