031av won't do...anything

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, look up the threads here on 031 ignition module. There are some very good ones. I have done numerous modules in 031s. The points models require the flywheel rotation clockwise 1/2-3/4”, i think. They still ran without the rotation, but ran like crap no power and the muffler will turn red. I use green loctite on the shaft as the woodruff key is no longer there to prevent it from slipping. To clarify, the points and condensor are no longer used. Mount the module in the air box and hook the wire from the points to the module. I have had no luck with the nova 2 wire modules. I use a john deere/kawasaki one wire module and have yet to have one fail on any saw i have put it on. I may me off a little on my specs here as it has been a while since i have done this, but it is documented in threads here. I will post a link if i find them.

First, look up the threads here on 031 ignition module. There are some very good ones. I have done numerous modules in 031s. The points models require the flywheel rotation clockwise 1/2-3/4”, i think. They still ran without the rotation, but ran like crap no power and the muffler will turn red. I use green loctite on the shaft as the woodruff key is no longer there to prevent it from slipping. To clarify, the points and condensor are no longer used. Mount the module in the air box and hook the wire from the points to the module. I have had no luck with the nova 2 wire modules. I use a john deere/kawasaki one wire module and have yet to have one fail on any saw i have put it on. I may me off a little on my specs here as it has been a while since i have done this, but it is documented in threads here. I will post a link if i find them.
The nova2 went on, hooked it up negative ground, removed the condenser but left the points in place. I advanced the wheel 1". It seemed to like it, spark is great now

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I left the points in place too, just not using them. I have had shockingly good points that wouldn’t run the saw for beans too. The module i use is a #M70114 johndeere/kawasaki $12.00.

SnowChaser where do you buy the Kawasaki M70114 for 12.00 last one I bought was 52.00 Canadian dollars.I have had great luck using the Kawasaki module on various lawn tractors. I strip every scrap Kawi motor of its module never had a bad one yet the novas are hit and miss they do not like any heat .The old Atoms were really good I have never tried the oregons.
Kash

Well, new recoil came in, put it on...5 pulls and the threads pulled out if the housing.

Ordered a m4 helicoil set and red loctite, got it drilled, tapped and repaired...new m4x16 screws installed, and after some screwing around it starts and runs. Runs quite well...i put a tsumura bar and chain on it and it not oiling...oiler seized, gear stripped.

Now to find those parts...[emoji854][emoji52]

I hope you plan on keeping it, you've got a lot into it.
An asinine amount of money into a saw few people like[emoji1787][emoji1787].

Lets see...

Rings: 15
Carb: 21
Boot: 12
Impulse hose: 12
Fuel pickup::13
Module: 25
Recoil: 30
Dog kit: 20
Helicoil: 12
Hardware: 18
Handle: 40
Av set: 24
Filter: 15

What...265...ish?

Ill be in it 400 with the bar, chain and oiler...could have literally bought a new echo cs590[emoji1787][emoji1787]

An asinine amount of money into a saw few people like[emoji1787][emoji1787].

Lets see...

Rings: 15
Carb: 21
Boot: 12
Impulse hose: 12
Fuel pickup::13
Module: 25
Recoil: 30
Dog kit: 20
Helicoil: 12
Hardware: 18
Handle: 40
Av set: 24
Filter: 15

What...265...ish?

Ill be in it 400 with the bar, chain and oiler...could have literally bought a new echo cs590[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Where is the labour content?
Perfect example of how $500 can get you a damn fine $30 chainsaw.

Where is the labour content?
Perfect example of how $500 can get you a damn fine $30 chainsaw.
Im in it at least 8 hours but i mainly only work on this stuff late at night after working on customers stuff all day...its relaxing. Except this saw, this saw has driven me up the wall.

Im in it at least 8 hours but i mainly only work on this stuff late at night after working on customers stuff all day...its relaxing. Except this saw, this saw has driven me up the wall.

Just think of all the "valuable experience" you're getting...
I've had a lot of similarly "valuable experience" over the years, I have to call it that or how the hell else do you justify doing it over & over

....anyone got a good coil for an 031av with the points ignition.

Had a 20" bar and chain sitting around that bolted on, new oiler on..she cuts wood, i buried it in 20" of seasoned oak and sent it...
cd3eff8ce92fc40cdf748f3285ae17d2.jpg
474e7d3bd63d9c61f2643a3b8abd2a02.jpg
cf355286628b65694fa3b667d0716c89.jpg
a0ad51c21aa8a55e2fbdee00f9629249.jpg

Back