034 AV Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what the issue is here?

I mentioned this 034 in other posts, and im just trying to get all the little things fixed on it.

Well when removing the clutch, I noticed there was no big washer between the clutch and the oil pump. It seemed odd it wasnt in there, and the IPL showed it having one, so I ordered one.

20200123_190256.jpg

I proceeded to install it, and noticed a few issues. First, when the clutch was tightened down, the washer put force on the clutch and oil pump worm drive, so it turned with just the clutch disc, not the clutch drum. And secondly, when I install the clutch and drum and go to put the c clip on, the groove in the crank doesnt stick out far enough to get the clip on it.

So, what's the deal here? Did some of the models not have this washer in there? Is the crank off center in the crankcase? Is the washer installed in the right location and direction?

There were at least 2 versions of the clutch. The newer ones had a slightly thinner clutch and the big anti-grenade washer. Check the IPL for applicable serial numbers. Also that washer doesn't look OEM. The OEM ones were stamped "This side out" or something to that effect.

Attachments

• 2000_34 Clutch grenade washer.pdf
    123.6 KB · Views: 11
There were at least 2 versions of the clutch. The newer ones had a slightly thinner clutch and the big anti-grenade washer. Check the IPL for applicable serial numbers. Also that washer doesn't look OEM. The OEM ones were stamped "This side out" or something to that effect.
The washer is not oem. I just ordered this one so I can run the saw without fear of grenading the clutch into the oil pump, but I really dont think it's supposed to have one. Looking at it, the washer would have to sit on the threads, which doesnt make any sense to do from a design aspect. I'm just going to run it without one.

You might want to replace the oil pump outlet hose with OEM tubing/insert
Yeah, if I keep the saw I will upgrade it, I haven't even cut with this saw yet and want to see how it goes before I decide to invest any more money into it.

The clutches are different as noted above. Let’s see a pic of the back of the clutch if you can.

The washerless clutch has some extended shoe retainers vs the washer clutch.

On the 044, they have a small and big washer clutch, just to add to the confusion.

I have an ms 039 that I’m working on, it didn’t have a large washer either, I too ordered it as the stihl shop said it should be there, but like the above I don’t think it should be... I haven’t tried installing it yet,

I just noticed the extended retainers after posting the pics. I guess mine never needed the washer. Thanks guys.

Mine did not have a washer. I saw how the worm gear worked, but what actually turns the oil pump? is it just friction? What is the purpose of the wire with the crook on the end of it? You can see the end of it at 6 oclock in your picture that has the washer in it? I put mine back together and oil pump works, but I don't really see what is making the oil pump turn.

Mine did not have a washer. I saw how the worm gear worked, but what actually turns the oil pump? is it just friction? What is the purpose of the wire with the crook on the end of it? You can see the end of it at 6 oclock in your picture that has the washer in it? I put mine back together and oil pump works, but I don't really see what is making the oil pump turn.
There is a notch in the clutch drum that should align with the worm drive wire you are seeing. That way it only turns when the chain is spinning.

Latest posts

Back