036 fuel problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure test the carb as well, if you are equipt to do so.

Like Harley said, take a look down at the intake skirt through the boot.

036 can have a bit more blowback than other models from Stihl. They have a teardrop intake port and the lower portion provides more intake duration than any other Stihl I have worked on besides possibly the 660.

It sounds like you ponied up for a new OEM carb, but it still may be the issue. Some of the $20 AM carbs for this model are made on the very same assembly line as the OEM Zama are. In fact, up to about 2 years ago, they AM ones would come with Zama cast into the pump plate and the correct model number (?C3A) cast into the side of the body. Only the “Stihl” name on the metering plate was missing.

After tearing the carb off today I found part of the problem. Under the needle there was a piece of metal. Looked as if it come from inside the carb itself. The piston looked good while I was there looking. The only other thing I seen while I had the carb off was fuel was pushing out the fuel line. How much pressure should be on the tank just setting on the bench? Mine has the tall black vent with the grub screw.

Pressure in the fuel tank is natural, its the fuel mix expanding from temperature warming up expands the fuel mix. The carb metering spring is designed to deal with this pressure, it will keep the needle valve tight on its seat.

I' ll check tommorow if it pushed fuel through the carb overnight. Maybe that piece I found was getting under the needle and causing my flooding problem. Dang new carb I guess had a milled piece broke loose and started my problems. It looked like a piece of a thread or something.

I just fixed up a saw a co worker owns. It seldom gets used, sits for long spells with fuel in it and never gets the chain sharpened. He had a shop put a new carb on it and he ran it once, let it sit a couple months and it wouldn`t run right next time. He asked me and I thought the carb was partially plugged up, he of course says, but its a new carb. I finally get it and pull the carb, its screen plugged with junk from the filter, shop put on a new carb but didn`t flush the line or change the tank filter, new carb gets plugged with junk. Put the carb through the USC, new kit and new line and filter, sharpened the horrible chain, tuned the carb in the cut and returned the saw. Owner says the saw never ran so good, also gave him a can of True Fuel, told him to only use this stuff so the fuel system don`t rot off it again.

I usually choke it. If you set it down hot it will flood a lot of times
flooding could be due to a metring valve not closing correctly in which it could syphon fuel when not running? this could be due to the metering lever not being set to the correct tolerances and (or) a bad/hard creased metering diaphragm ? no saw should flood when not running, hot or cold . it may also have an intermittent air leak? like a pours pulse line, which would effect starting, but it still wouldn't cause a carb to flood the engine. the fact that its had a top end should beg the question why? is it because of a fried piston caused by an air leak leaning the saw out in its recent past?

Back