• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 036 Pro $295

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
Please check out the pics. This saw sustained some peripheral damage from what looks like something falling on it. I do not know the history but I completely re-built it. The notable areas were the bulkhead area where the ignition wires pass through and the cylinder fin near the spark plug. The top cover is not correct, but the replacement was drilled for the de-comp. The hold down nut and grommet are missing. There is some slight melting on the cover and the brake flag. The saw functions fine, I just want full disclosure.

That's the bad, the saw runs great and has no issues doing what it's supposed to. New parts are:
Crank bearings and seals, fuel and impulse lines, intake manifold, carb kit, Meteor piston with Caber rings. It has no base gasket and the timing has been advanced. All parts are OEM aside from the piston and rings and the Nachi flywheel side bearing. I've put a half tank of fuel through it and it's ready to put wood in someone else's stove. If you have any questions or would like more pics please ask. I'd like $315 for this one PHO.
20181221_193123.jpg
20181221_193135.jpg
20181221_193252.jpg
20181221_193145.jpg
20181221_193159.jpg
20181221_184815.jpg
20181221_184820.jpg

New year Bump. Cheaper than most Farm Bosses I see, faster too. I have 18" and 20" used RSN bar and chain combos available.

Was the cylinder in good shape? Photos?

What is the difference between the 036 and the 036 Pro?
Here's a shot of the piston. It only has a half tank of run time. I did not take a photo of the cylinder when I had it apart. I prepared the surface with a red scotch brite pad, as is my normal practice.

As I understand it the "pro" designation adds a decompression button on the cylinder and a carburetor that compensates for a dirty air filter. It has the OEM Zama compensating carb as well as the button on top as seen in the photos above. I removed that and cleaned it when I had it apart.
20190101_150605.jpg 20190101_145911.jpg

Was the cylinder in good shape? Photos?

What is the difference between the 036 and the 036 Pro?
I guess I didn't directly answer. The cylinder was fine. The piston had some scratches like the saw had ingested some dust but the nikasil was un-harmed.

It sounds like a good saw.

I remember when the 036 first came out. I was running an 028 Super and went to the 036. I believe it was 1988 or 1889. A very significant difference. I believe Stihl advertising at the time claimed it was about the highest horsepower per pound ratio of any saw. I still have that 036 and use it every week or so. A great saw.

In my opinion it's still a very viable one saw plan, if you're looking for that sort of thing. This one is ready for many years of service.

Back