036 pro rpm issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty normal for an old saw to me. Spray with a little cleaner, then brush and rinse. Then blow off.

Don’t try removing pump completely. If you have to pull it, pull off crank and flip to the side. The oil lines in those are tricky and you don’t want to play with it. As long as oil line is intact, and not torn, you should be good.

Its usually the fly side seal.
T1

drf255, thank you, thank you, my friend for sticking with this. I got my puller today. Pulled flywheel. Put oil on seal and watched it disappear into crank case under vacuum! It was awesome to finally find the issue, especially knowing that my local dealer wouldn’t even do a vac test. Now I need to replace seal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!
Take multiple pics and try to measure depth, that’s the most important part of installing the seal. Also wanna make sure it’s square.

No need for a puller. Tap one side of the seal in with a punch and the other side will pop out. Then grab it with a pick and remove.

Lube the new seal up with 2T oil (inside and out) and slide it over crank with slight side pressure so that the seal doesn’t have any pressure on the crank key way. When you get it near the area it seats in, gently tap it in using a long shank socket to proper depth.

If it’s your own saw, AM seals are ok. The oem ones cost more individually than the entire gasket kit does, so I usually buy the kit. Personally, I own the oem seal install kit for 95% of all Stihl models. It makes it a fast no-brained job, but I do alot of saws.

Yep.......not sure why they use such a wimpy little seal on that side.....I don't work on Stihls much but have had to replaced that seal on 75% of the Stihl saws that come through here with running issues........and sometimes the P&C too because of it. The OP is lucky...his piston looks great.

No need for a puller. Tap one side of the seal in with a punch and the other side will pop out. Then grab it with a pick and remove.
That worked. Cleaned under seal best I could. Will order new seal and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2127B4FD-16FF-47F2-ABE3-ED6D75F0B8D0.jpeg
    2127B4FD-16FF-47F2-ABE3-ED6D75F0B8D0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • C26B7049-B9FC-4F1D-B69B-CD2827C0C3CC.jpeg
    C26B7049-B9FC-4F1D-B69B-CD2827C0C3CC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • F88CD442-F596-4B28-840A-C4D9ACDCFF15.jpeg
    F88CD442-F596-4B28-840A-C4D9ACDCFF15.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • C297C740-4F64-4919-BC60-0CAC779AB7B7.jpeg
    C297C740-4F64-4919-BC60-0CAC779AB7B7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
Tap one side in with a punch, it will rotate out. Then grab w pliers.
Did what you said, and put new seal in. Passed vacuum test. Put saw back together and it started up, ran just fine. Did a quick tune, but I’ll get a tach reading hopefully tomorrow and see if that’s down where it should be now. Thanks again for all your help! I learned a ton from you and really appreciate it.

Back