036 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With both rings past the base of the cyl I install the bolts ( Never seized first) and a piece string around the intake boot ( rayon, 2 turns , scrap from girlfriends knitting project,,,,,,)

Lower cyl as you pull the boot through tank housing, yank one end of string to remove it. Bolt cyl down, plug intake/exhaust to keep bugs out.

More to come......

Need to install flywheel and check ignition clearance, feeler gauges work, 0.010". Rope works great for piston stop, make sure it is clean!!! Stihl puller pictured is a must have for flywheel removals!

Same idea on other side, be careful as the crank will be opposite to tighten. On clutch side, pull the rope, and bring ca. 30 o before TDC insert rope again, remember, "left handed" threads/rotation....rope in port(s) is NOT good!

Tighten clutch. Install clutch upgrade, check oil pump drive spring, button up access.

I trashed an early clutch bearing on a 036, crank survived, be forewarned, 034 users too!

More to come......two more pics for this post......

Need to install flywheel and check ignition clearance, feeler gauges work, 0.010". Rope works great for piston stop, make sure it is clean!!! Stihl puller pictured is a must have for flywheel removals!

Same idea on other side, be careful as the crank will be opposite to tighten. On clutch side, pull the rope, and bring ca. 30 o before TDC insert rope again, remember, "left handed" threads/rotation....rope in port(s) is NOT good!

Tighten clutch. Install clutch upgrade, check oil pump drive spring, button up access.

I trashed an early clutch bearing on a 036, crank survived, be forewarned, 034 users too!

Out of order. Clutch bottonned up and a pic of clutch/brake

Dial up SUCKS...........need some sleep.........

Great pictorial ,always good to have the visuals.(Good looking truck it's posing with,the chain on the headlight guard looks like it needs a little oil though.)

Hi Folks,

I got the data back from my old computer, this was before the site crash. I'd like to put the pictures back into this 036 rebuild thread. It may help 036/360 people and those with similar Stihl saws. Has lots of Hi-res pictures of assembly

It seems I can't edit these posts anymore and put the pictures back? Can a moderator help me with this?

To give you all an idea. This was a freebee saw, piston was toast. It was my first go with the HCL treatment to remove transfer. Sorry did not have a before pic of the cylinder. For under $200 I put it back in order with NOS OEM parts including a piston and 20" ES B/C.

The starting material.The starting material.jpeg

Under the muffler 036 scored muf off.jpeg

The piston 036 piston scored.jpeg

Roxy the piston expert, says it won't sand out Roxy the Cat says.jpeg

Cylinder cleaned up ex side036 cylinder ex cleaned.jpeg

Cylinder cleaned up intake side 036 intake cleaned.jpeg

Final product Caddilac out of a sows ear.jpeg Freebee 036 complete.jpeg

If you have pics of your oil line installation I would love to see those. Thanks for attempting to rebuild this thread with your pictures!

Yes, I do. But I'm not doing the whole thing again piecemeal.

The pictures came out nice as I did this outside on a nice sunny spring afternoon and used a Nikon camera.

I hope a Moderator fixes things so I can just add all the pictures again. I have more I didn't put into the original thread, as I was on dialup then, and loading a picture, took as long as having a beer, and a couple of pictures it was time to take a nap.

Here you go.......

Did you clean it all up first?.

Oil hose kit, line cut to size, note metal spring oil hose kit.jpg

You get enough line in a kit to do two saws, 1 if you mess the hose up 1st time . The hose is as stiff as a sailor on shore leave

Oil outlet orfice DSC_0002.JPG

I fitted the brass nipple into hose first then inserted the oil line into the case, you can fit to pump first but then the hose only sticks out a little, to get the nipple + hose crammed back into case. You can lube the hose a bit and/or heat it with a Bic to insert the brass nipple prior to putting in case.

hose in the case.jpg

You put the spring inside the hose, don't forget this or the hose will kink, make sure you cut it to correct length a while back....(74mm/2.9"). Then place the pump over the crank end. Try to start the hose onto the pump barb, it won't go, yet. Take some needle nose and grab the hose, then heat the hose at

the barb end and push it on the barb with the pliers. Too much heat and the hose will collapse/mush.oil pump connected.jpg

Bolt up your oil pump up. Don't forget the washer and sleeve/ring that fit over the crank end. DSC_0021.JPG

Turn the crank CCW until about an inch below TDC, insert a clean piece of nylon rope as a piston stop. Screw on your clutch CCW and torque it to spec. The torque spec is MIA in my shop manual, good and tight.

DSC_0025.JPG

If you have a 034 or early 036 put on the clutch upgrade, the early clutch has a wimpy bearing. Take a look -----> clutchg upgrade sm.jpg

Edit: Whoops I forgot. Put your brake band back on

Grease the bearing, crank, and inside of clutch drum, line up oil pump drive wire in clutch drum and install washer (washer only fits correctly one way) and e-clip
DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG <----Notice oil pump drive wire in clutch drum slot/groove

Then you just put the cover back on and you have a oil pump and clutch good to go. DSC_0029.JPG

Wow that's really great! I didn't mean for you to re-write the whole process since you already explained it a couple pages back. Yes, the saw will be spotless before any repairs are attempted o_O

Not sure how much help you will get from the mods, as I am not sure they are even able to unlock these old threads.

Thanks again for your efforts!

The thread is not locked, it`s just timed out and a moderator has no control over a time out, it cannot be restored by one of us.

Thanks for filling me in on this. Is the time out, time to edit, or time thread is inactive?

We lost a lot of stuff in the crash, and again due to photobucket. It would be great of original posters could restore the old threads

Thanks for filling me in on this. Is the time out, time to edit, or time thread is inactive?

We lost a lot of stuff in the crash, and again due to photobucket. It would be great of original posters could restore the old threads

The edit function times out,the thread will stay active unless a moderator puts a lock on it. It takes a deliberate action to lock a thread, it never happens automatically.

With a clean stripped saw, my local dealer, put the seals in for $15

The oil pump line installed and all the parts ready to go.

Case ready for piston.

I use a nail head to seat the circlips. Put 1st clip on off the saw. Don't forget the base gasket. Protect bottom end with some clean towels.

Piston holder and cyl install. Holder made of 1" scrap red oak, old toothbrush with handle sharpened is great for working rings into groove I start near the pin and work my way around.

More to come......

Seems like the best way to put pictures back in is to "reply" to my own posts. Will try to do so but will take a while. The replies will be to the posts.

I hope this is worth my effort, again, and it helps pay back the debts I owe You all for "edumacating" me on saws all these years.

Best, MP

O.K. I've posted carnage of original, final saw and clutch/oil hose pics.

I'll try to add pics for each post as a "reply"., maybe with some comments past original.

This is the clean saw after I got it back w/new seals. Mr Billy/William Bratcher of Bennington Vt, He's the best, took the clean saw an $15 put the seals in from OEM gasket set. I didn't have seal puller back then and it was a chance to visit/bother Billy

new seals.jpg ready to assemble.jpg

Make sure it's clean

Ready for cyl 2.jpeg Ready for cylinder.jpeg

Stuff some clean PT/rags in the bottom end. (thats for when the circlip goes "PING!" to points unknown......)

Have rings on piston already, one clip in, install piston/bearing/pin. Put a piston support under the piston.

Home grown piston support.jpeg You make that out of a 1" oak scrap , lasts forever......Home grown piston support 2.jpeg

PITA to get circlips in. I start them with a thumb, then use a nail head to push in to seat them. Be careful steel is tougher than piston. Can also use "modified tooth brush"...

Now to put jug on. Piston is held nice with oak holder. Put some lube on the cylinder liner. Start cyl on piston. You need to compress the ring. I start at a pin then use a fingernail, when that stops working well I use a toothbrush handle modified for the job. It won't muck up your piston.Do both rings.

rings w:toothbrush.jpg

When you get both rings inside jug slide the jug down. Now get ready to both install the jug and pull the inatke boot into the tank housing.

You need some knitting string (ask girlfriend). two wraps around end of intake boot with long tag ends, put tag ends through hole in tank housing. Pull cyl assy to TDC without pulling out piston, put your cyl bolts into cyl. Remove piston support and PT you stuffed into bottom end. Carefully lower cylinder towards case while pulling both string tag ends through tank housing. If a cyl bolt falls into case, aaarrgghhh!!!!

Well out of uploads this post. String trick next episode....

Attachments

• new seals.jpg
    new seals.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 22
  • base gasket.jpg
    base gasket.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 22
  • piston support.jpg
    piston support.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 21
Seems like the best way to put pictures back in is to "reply" to my own posts. Will try to do so but will take a while. The replies will be to the posts.

I hope this is worth my effort, again, and it helps pay back the debts I owe You all for "edumacating" me on saws all these years.

Best, MP

O.K. I've posted carnage of original, final saw and clutch/oil hose pics.

I'll try to add pics for each post as a "reply"., maybe with some comments past original.

This is the clean saw after I got it back w/new seals. Mr Billy/William Bratcher of Bennington Vt, He's the best, took the clean saw an $15 put the seals in from OEM gasket set. I didn't have seal puller back then and it was a chance to visit/bother Billy

View attachment 596364 View attachment 596375

Make sure it's clean

View attachment 596372 View attachment 596374

Stuff some clean PT/rags in the bottom end. (thats for when the circlip goes "PING!" to points unknown......)

Have rings on piston already, one clip in, install piston/bearing/pin. Put a piston support under the piston.

View attachment 596380 You make that out of a 1" oak scrap , lasts forever......View attachment 596383

PITA to get circlips in. I start them with a thumb, then use a nail head to push in to seat them. Be careful steel is tougher than piston. Can also use "modified tooth brush"...

Now to put jug on. Piston is held nice with oak holder. Put some lube on the cylinder liner. Start cyl on piston. You need to compress the ring. I start at a pin then use a fingernail, when that stops working well I use a toothbrush handle modified for the job. It won't muck up your piston.Do both rings.

View attachment 596385

When you get both rings inside jug slide the jug down. Now get ready to both install the jug and pull the inatke boot into the tank housing.

You need some knitting string (ask girlfriend). two wraps around end of intake boot with long tag ends, put tag ends through hole in tank housing. Pull cyl assy to TDC without pulling out piston, put your cyl bolts into cyl. Remove piston support and PT you stuffed into bottom end. Carefully lower cylinder towards case while pulling both string tag ends through tank housing. If a cyl bolt falls into case, aaarrgghhh!!!!

Well out of uploads this post. String trick next episode....

I for got the base gasket shot. Remember the base gasket unless you delete it.

Base gas + piston on.jpeg

Back too Bolting the jug down.....jug and string trick.jpg Note screws, string. Lower jug and pull intake through tank w/string
intake installed.jpg Yank a tag end of string and it all comes out .

jug finished.jpg

Edit: One I forgot on the clutch install, put on your brake band DSC_0027.JPG

P.S. AS can keep the thread all Pics copyright MP 2017

setting coil gap.jpg

Clutch pics already added above

Make sure your flywheel/crank taper are clean and key and keyways are not buggered up. CW to tighten, use rope for piston stop, turn CW to ca. 30o BTDC before inserting rope. Torque to spec 50 nM

See flywheel puller used to pull flywheel on disassembly

flywheel:puller.jpg Check your coil gap, 0.010" setting coil gap.jpg

I replaced fuel ilne and filter. Big curved hemostats are the tool to have fuel line install.jpg

I've got some 6mm and 1/4" nylon air line here. I think I will try making my own replacement line. The 1/4" is tight in the bar mount passage, but it has the best I.D. for inserting the thimble, and for pressing on the pump outlet.

Back