038 Chain Brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul99

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
For the last few weeks I've been restoring an old 038 Super that was fit for the scrap pile. I stripped it right down sand blasted the cases and resprayed all the metal work. Rebuilt the bottom end with OEM but will be getting an AM magnum top end. Whilst waiting for parts I started assembling other bits. All good so far but then I came to the chain brake:

20171215_121920.jpg

It seems to be entirely different design to what's in the IPL or manual and so far haven't come across pictures of this type anywhere else. It appears to function as expected but that spare e- clip sat between clutch and av mount was left over and I can't for the life of me recall taking it off let alone where it came from (must have been this side of the saw). I've spent half an hour and can't see anywhere it could fit and of course as per the above the ipl is no help either. Anyone have any suggestions or at least seen this design before?

After a bit of research it seems that the brake lever parts are from an 042 not sure if it is meant to work but it seems to. That still doesn't explain the extra e-clip though.... odd

Thanks for the replies I should have said its not the sprocket clip too small and I have that separate.

There is also no groove machined into the lever pivot pin that you both have suggested however being as this appears to be a mashup of parts I'm coming to the conclusion that the clip did indeed come from that position (it will fit there under its own tension but with no groove it could walk off the pivot).

A bit more research suggests that the same brake parts were also fitted to some 048s the brake handle itself is also off of an 042 or 048. I have an AM brake handle on the way so may just get an AM brake kit and be done with it.

‘E’ clip on brake band post?
7ee8b7750f47ed0dfec929b8f49a5aa0.jpg

The early 028's had a similar looking lever that was unlike the lever in the later models (and in the service manual). The parts are not interchangeable. Notice that in this saw the brake band is not the later "wrap around" type and doesn't anchor in the usual place. I don't know about the early 038's, but your lever is similar.

1513389043146_IMG_20170324_161212_865.jpg

A bit more research suggests that the same brake parts were also fitted to some 048s the brake handle itself is also off of an 042 or 048. I have an AM brake handle on the way so may just get an AM brake kit and be done with it.

Before you order, be sure you are getting the right parts for your saw. As posted above, Stihl changed the chain brake (and crankcase) in their 028's starting at a particular serial number. The one pictured is before the change, but if you look at replacement kits, almost all are for the later models.

Thanks again for the input. This 038 is a metal tank version so guessing it must be a early one but read dating them from their serial number isnt easily done so left the date at sometime in the 80s? I should check the brake mechanism on my 028 Super but I'm pretty sure it will differ as it's a later plastic tank model.

I was working on the assumption that the brake mechanism was a bodge of available parts including the handle but it doesn't look out of place and works that well I see no reason that it may have originally built like that.

I think for the time being I'll leave it as is and come back to it if it proves unsuitable in actual use.

Still waiting on the AM parts which likely won't be here before Christmas. I've taken the odd photo or the rebuild so far and will probably start a thread over the holidays. This is as far as I've got with it:
20171216_210809.jpg
20171216_210844.jpg
Couldn't get hold of a metal made in West Germany badge so a plastic one had to do. As the top end won't be OEM anyway I wasn't too bothered.

that's real nice....I have pondered similar situations...and sometimes I will make sure all the stuff that in your case is secured with a c-clip is and if so throw the extra clip in the trash.....it is bent out of shape anyway so it was probably in a location if did not belong....could have been the c clip for the recoil that got mixed up in your other parts...real nice job...looks better that powder coat to me!

Latest posts

Back