038 Magnum won't restart after running?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHRed

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I got dad's 038 magnum back together and it will start right up and runs like a banshee! Full choke and it starts on second pull, flip it up to run and she's off and running. Problem is once it has run for much time at all, if I shut it off it will not restart for nothing??? If I let it sit and idle it will eventually load up and die and then will not restart either. It will hit a little bit with the switch in run position but only for a few pulls of the rope then won't even hit. Full choke results in no hit at all. If I leave it sit for a few hours it will start right back up on second pull of full choke. Also when it is running, if I let it go to idle it wants to stall out with any throttle input until it gets a little farther up in the rpms, then it is very throttle responsive. My first thought is I just don't have the carb set quite right but I'm new at this and don't know enough about the symptoms to diagnose. Carb is set one full turn out on each screw which is what the sticker on the filter cover shows. Help me out please.

I should also add: new fuel line and filter, new impulse line, new oem air filter

Here's a before and after pic also

thanks

JoeIMG_1507.JPG IMG_1661.JPG

When you get it going turn idle screw in a little so it won't die as it warms up at idle. When you have a nice idle lean the L screw in a bit, you want a nice rev no bog. Loading up on low end. After you can start and stop time and again look back to the idle if chain is spinning back off on idle screw again.

This sounds like your tank vent. Try the same scenario as you describe, but with the fuel cap loose. I'm betting it will run fine. Take a new piece of hose, screw in a new #4-40 set Screw, and you're off to the races.

If the tank vent is fine, try seeing if the saw has spark when hot. After that, carburetor rebuild and if problems persist, get a cheap Chinese carburetor as a diagnostic tool

Got her running like a champ now. first thing I did was to renew the tank vent as suggested above. Then fired it up and adjusted it as Beer Gut described and perfection!!!! Idles perfect, amazing throttle response, revs hard and fast. This thing is screaming for a chunk of wood! Can't wait to see my dad run it again. He was always so proud of this saw. He doesn't know I got it and I'm giving it to him next Sunday night with a bow on it. He's been cutting with his ms390 for almost 10 years now and every time anyone asks him what he thinks of it his response is the same. " It's alright but it sure won't cut like that 038 used too." Thanks again guys!

Beer Gut: your adjusting directions were easy to understand and spot on. thanks

Joe

Got her running like a champ now. first thing I did was to renew the tank vent as suggested above. Then fired it up and adjusted it as Beer Gut described and perfection!!!! Idles perfect, amazing throttle response, revs hard and fast. This thing is screaming for a chunk of wood! Can't wait to see my dad run it again. He was always so proud of this saw. He doesn't know I got it and I'm giving it to him next Sunday night with a bow on it. He's been cutting with his ms390 for almost 10 years now and every time anyone asks him what he thinks of it his response is the same. " It's alright but it sure won't cut like that 038 used too." Thanks again guys!

Beer Gut: your adjusting directions were easy to understand and spot on. thanks

Joe
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back