038 to 028 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I had written the post regarding two busted 038 AV saws that I wanted to make a good saw out of. Well while disassembling both 038's I found trouble. Both crankcases are cracked. Obviously I am not going to spend the money for a new crankcase, but a friend of mine gave me a brand new crankcase for a 028 AVEQ. Is there any way that I can use the 028 crankcase and install it on the 038. There are some slight differences in the crankcases such as muffler mounting. Has anyone ever tried to do this converison. The rest of the saw is in immaculate shape and I really would like to get it running. However if I can't use the 028 case or find another 038 case I will not bother.
Thanks again.

Hi guys. I found out from Stihl that none of their crankcases can be swapped so I guess that scraps that idea. However, some one told me that Stihl sells their crankcase halves seperately. From Husky experience I assumed that you had to buy the whole crankcase as an assembly and that would be too costly. My dealer however tells me that I have to buy the complete crankcase. Does anyone know if the brake side crankcase can be purchased seperately and if so what would be the price. Thanks again.

On Stihl chanisaws anyway, crankcases on the 020T, can bought seprate. all others have to be bought together. But Sithl is changeing from day to day.

need info on 038AV

Hey guys. Well after all this time I finally was able to locate a crankcase. My Stihl dealer found an old crankcase half and just gave it to me. Now I have a bunch more questions and I hope some of you Stihl experts can help out. First off, on the crankshaft I plan to use, someone has welded with what appears to be bronze on the clutch end of the crankshaft. This is where the C-clip goes to hold the sprocket. It appears to be very well done as the person grinded everything down to be almost exactly like the orignal crank, but the question is, will it hold over many years of hard use?I would hate to go through all this trouble and have the bronze part come off and everything come flying off the end. Also, I have a clear plastic gas tank and an aluminum one. Which one do you guys recommend? Lastly, One of the 038's had a Tillotson HK carb and the other had a Bing. Which would be the best one to use. Almost forgot, one muffler has only one outlet and the other has two outlets. Is the extra noise really worth the extra power? Whew! That was long! Hope you can help.

1)cant answer your bronzing question.
2)I like the plastic one because you can see how much fuel you have and its much lighter.
3)Both carbs will work and both are good. The Tillotson you can find parts much easier and cheaper. The Bing carb kit I bet is close to 30 bucks. So if you want to find cheaper stuff to work with use the Tillotson.

Well we got a partial answer I guess.

Back