038magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK I went through my old madsenized 038 today and found it to be in better shape than I imagined,I bought the saw from my former boss,a former logger who'd gotten it as a personal saw after getting into the construction biz.he decided it was too heavy for an old man and got an 034...anyway I do have a Q for you more experienced woodcutters out there...

What bar length would you recommend for use with standard(full tooth count)chisel?(I'm running 28" skiptooth now and don't like it because the teeth take such a beating)I'm down to one chain so if I'm going to make a switch now is the time.I'm assuming the extra teeth would slow it down at 28"?? this is my felling/big wood saw,so please don't tell me 16"!!!the current setup is all .063,so it's a whole new rig for me to downsize...how much speed can I expect to gain by going 20" .05?

Last edited:
The 038 magnum should be able to handle 28" full comp no problem. Usually it is not practical to run full comp over 28" as there is no where for the chips to go. I have a 28" on my Jonsered 670 and the 038 Magnum has more displacement (5ccs I think). Oregon 73LG would be a good choice. Or Stihl 33RS chain.
If you are worried get a 24" bar and chain combo and that should work for about anything you encounter, unless you are logging in the Redwood forest or something.

Sorry I just noticed you live in Washington. In that case you will need to put a 60" bar on that saw and you will do just fine:D

It's interesting you guys are talking about 038's. I had a chance at several brand new 038 last month and passed, although I was in the market for a saw.Can't remember the price for sure, but I think it was around $525.00, don't quote me on that. I had never heard of 038 before. Seems you can no longer buy them here, but Stihl still makes them. (no pun intended) Instead I bought a new MS460. Is this 038 truly that good of a saw? Why would you take it over an 046 or MS460? They are abut the same weight, but the 460 has more horses.

I really like my 038M,it's actually a couple cc's bigger than 044,5cc smaller than 046M.it's heavy but very torquey and very very durable.I don't know how the 046compares durability-wise,I prefer the 038 over the 044 for non commercial use,it'll last forever...but of course the 044/046 have better power/weight.

Last edited:
G'day toolmaker,

I had heard nothing but good things about the 038 while I was looking for a new saw, which is primarily why I got one, the other being Stihl was doing a deal on them at the time. Made in Germany and Brazil still - yeah, no pun etc! and for the last 20 odd years.
Stories of them being a skidder or yarding saw, ie used and abused by anyone who needed a saw at the time, and still starting/running well goes a long way in my book, as I know I will look after my own saw, so it should last a lifetime!!......
Its a good size for felling at 72cc, I really like the saw. Plenty of grunt. Walkerised and I would be in heaven!!
You can still get them over the border in Canada I believe (well you could a few months ago).
Oh and builder, Ive got a 20" bar on mine and I find it covers my needs well. A 28" bar would be a spare for me to use if I needed it (probably not often as Ive got a bigger saw for the large stuff).
Cheers
Charlie.

Last edited:
if it'll be OK with full-count at(it's actually 27" by the tape)I'll just stick with what I've got.I priced a new bar at the stihl dealer(ouch!) and I have a 20" saw already anyway.

Last edited:
Builder, I don't buy Stihl bars anymore...too expensive. I switched to Oregon Powermatch Plus, solid bar, replaceable tip, reasonable price.

I got three bars and four chains with this saw,I use the sandvik 27". I've got a powermatch 28 that's still true and a stihl 32" that isn't...they all seem pretty much the same to me.why I have 2 .05 bars with the 4 .063 chains remains a mystery.I should probably have the 32" reconditioned and sell 'em off on ebay or something to pay for a 20" rig.

Latest posts

Back