041 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw guy666

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
anybody wana chat about these big stihl 041 saws just picked one up drop me a mesege

The 041 is an old design with its horizontal cylinder and its intake /exhaust ports on the same side of the cylinder. They are reliable old heavy slow saws that have and will cut wood but the more modern upright cylinder saws are much better for every day work. The AV is so much better on the more modern saws that the poor old 041`s are just dinosaurs these days.

I have a non AV one. I'll get it out eventually once I get a few more parts... With no AV it's hard to justify spending money on it but it'll be cool to run here and there. Not for very long though. Surprisingly large amount of parts for them available. Lots of them used but can find some new pieces here and there. Good luck finding a super jug and piston. Next to impossible to find.

I've rebuilt about 4 of the supers and I have one more I'll eventually get to for myself. I have almost all NOS covers and what not for it, a full wrap, and I plan to port it. Hopefully it turns out the way I want it to. Parts are all over ebay. Must have been popular for its time.

mine has heavy compression hard time pulling it over 3 pulls an my arm is done for the day

mine has heavy compression hard time pulling it over 3 pulls an my arm is done for the day

Speaking of the 041 with compression, I payed $65 for this saw back in 1989. I got it used from a dealer.Dealer said it did not have any power and took it in on a trade.So I got hold of it.The saw was used on a sawmill for years. I pulled the cylinder and all looked good. No scoring everything looked great until I looked at the exhaust port. From the looks of it he used 30 weight for motor oil. Anyway the exhaust port was 80% closed with oil soot or carbon.Well after a good cleaning and some mild porting it now runs great.The only problem is the weight. I'm not 16 anymore. It has the best sounding idle.20190811_202539[1].jpg

You have the 041 sit in a snow bank for like a half hour while moving brush from tops and never have to choke it, now it's like a 2 minute pow-wow to start a saw you shut off a minute ago.

Back