041 EI conversion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
I can send you an entire stator plate with coil, points and cap that came out of a working saw for $10 is you want to go that route, but all that's likely wrong with yours is the condenser.

Does that plate have the black plastic points cover? After removing the flywheel on the second 041 (AV), I realized that this was missing from the other one (along with the screws of course). If so, maybe we should go PM with this.

I am in the same position as you fellas. I have a customer bringing me a 041av, and a chip. He says the chip mounts to 1 of the 2 coil screws, and the wires connect with a small wire nut.

From what I am reading/viewing...the coil is underneath? So, where would this chip mount? Also, these chips are ONLY compatible with flywheels, that have 2 magnets???? How is that determined, without pulling the flywheel? Naturally, if the flywheel MUST come off to remedy a no spark on this particular model, than I'd prefer to just replace the coil, points and condensor with OEM. Question in that regard is, how is the timing determined/set.....point gap? dwell angle? OR is it as simple as rebuilding that plate, and bolting it back on?

This thread is going on 14 years .☺
1 chip i had mounted to the outer part of saw where ever you chose. I think it had 2 wires, may of been 1 grounded to the coil mount screw and the other went to positive, the points and condenser were disconnected.

Yes, it presses out. If you are concerned support the area around the condenser (like with an thin-walled socket or pipe).. before pressing... The plate is pretty strong though...
The saws owner has decided to stick with points, so I intend to pull the flywheel, and replace the entire assembly with a new one. Is there something I need to know upon re-installing? Timing? OR, is it as simple as re-installing the plate and flywheel??

The saws owner has decided to stick with points, so I intend to pull the flywheel, and replace the entire assembly with a new one. Is there something I need to know upon re-installing? Timing? OR, is it as simple as re-installing the plate and flywheel??

Smart decision, but use the old stator because it has the correct timing witness mark to line back up.

Points & condensers, Stihl 1115 part number prefixes, are $10 each delivered to your door from FleaEbay.

Then go by the music store and spend a dollar on a piano/guitar string, I think it was a "F" size that is 0.014" diameter. A regular feeler gauge is too wide to fit through the flywheel‘s adjustment slot.

Easy to do.

@Captain Bruce
Any luck getting this done? I will soon be attempting to convert an 041 back from an Atom chip back to points and condenser. I am waiting on flywheel puller, so haven’t seen what I’m getting into yet.

Back