041 super won't idle down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I recently acquired an 041 super, and it starts right up, but it won't idle down at all. If it's running, it's screaming. The only way I can get it to idle down at all is to play with the choke. I rebuilt the carb, and have tried tuning it (richening it), but to no avail. One guy told me that the crank seals could be worn, letting in more air, and leaning it out, thereby making it run faster, but before I go tearing the whole thing apart, I thought I would run it past the experts here. What do ya'll think is going on?

Well, I recently acquired an 041 super, and it starts right up, but it won't idle down at all. If it's running, it's screaming. The only way I can get it to idle down at all is to play with the choke. I rebuilt the carb, and have tried tuning it (richening it), but to no avail. One guy told me that the crank seals could be worn, letting in more air, and leaning it out, thereby making it run faster, but before I go tearing the whole thing apart, I thought I would run it past the experts here. What do ya'll think is going on?

He is probably right about an air leak, but it could be the carb. base loose. The best thing to do is a pressure/vacuum test before you tear it down. Tom

Yea-I was kind of skeptical of the crank seals being the problem since playing with the choke affected the rpms. Seems like that would point the the carb like you said, but I rebuilt the thing, and I know it's tight on the base, so I'm stumped. I'm not familiar with pressure testing. Is that something I could do at home, or do I need special equipment? Thanks.

when you rebuilt the carb did you tighten the intake bolts? (different than the carb studs)

Latest posts

Back