044 or 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I suppose this is a good dilemma to have. I get to choose between a relatively low hour 044 and a 440 with about two tanks through it. They look identical except for the compression release and the flippy caps, which I’ve replaced with an aftermarket twist cap. I’m keeping one of them, as I am radically reducing my stuff load preparatory to moving again. The 044 works great, but it seems the 440 would last longer, being basically new.
Thoughts?

I had fifty Stihls last year. Am down to 17. Keeping 5. 193T, 200T, 024 (unfueled), 440, and a specimen 064. Hard to justify keeping more saws, as I’m aging out of the fanaticism. I have a nice 200T, 026, pristine 041AVE, 051AVE, an 075AVE, 2 056 mag 2s, 038 mag, 044, 460, an early 064, and an 880 to sell. The 880 has low compression but comes with a new OEM piston kit. My pack rat and collecting days are over. I have never shipped a saw before, but what is left is basically the cream of the crop. The only saw I’d add to the five keepers might be a pristine 034 to round out the set. But that would only happen after we move, and after the rest of them go.

I've never run a 440 but have a 10mm 044 and love it. Maybe the 044 is no better but just from its legendary reputation I'd say 044.
Hit me up when your looking to move along other saws, I'm interested in owning some of the models in your list, if your timing lines up with me having a handful of cash available. I'm also in NH so no shipping needed.

either one .... ...to find both with only two tanks used ... is a feat in it self these days ..some are 10mm and other's 12mm in the 044 flavor

it’s a 12. Really clean. The 440 I found new around 2007 or so. I’ve only used it once, hard to say if it runs as strong as the 044, as it’s not broken in yet. It is a lot newer, obviously. I figure the 044 might go for a chunk of change, as it has nearly all of its paint, even on the bottom. They are indeed a joy to use. Now I want to keep it... but if the porting is the same on both, I’d go for the decomp version.

So the ipl shows the pistons, cylinders, cases, and cranks are the same part numbers for the 12 mm 044 and the 440. Not sure how they managed that, given that neither of the 044s I've owned were equipped with the compression release. But that's what the ipls I have show.

Attachments

• Cranks and cases 044:440.png
    Cranks and cases 044:440.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 7
So the ipl shows the pistons, cylinders, cases, and cranks are the same part numbers for the 12 mm 044 and the 440. Not sure how they managed that, given that neither of the 044s I've owned were equipped with the compression release. But that's what the ipls I have show.
That is just an updated IPL showing what is still available including the current updated parts.

I would be interested in the 044 when you’re ready to sell

That is just an updated IPL showing what is still available including the current updated parts.

I would be interested in the 044 when you’re ready to sell
I’ll send a PM with pics. It’s pretty clean. Hard decision to make, but I’m aging out of the CADdiction, and this is how I demonstrate that. If I really want a new 044, there’s one online for just under $4k....

Sell them both, then move, then buy a 441- bound to be one running and for sale near where you move to. Then you can spend the passing months regretting selling the two and wondering what the heck Stihl designers were smoking when they dreamed up the 441! :yes:

Sell them both, then move, then buy a 441- bound to be one running and for sale near where you move to. Then you can spend the passing months regretting selling the two and wondering what the heck Stihl designers were smoking when they dreamed up the 441! :yes:
I know it. The strato idea seems sound enough, and ecologically makes a lot of sense. But I think I'll keep the 440. The 0_4 and 0_6 series just can't be beat, in my opinion. I suppose there are enough people who like the newer saws, but those are my favorites. I can tell you the 660 does a fine job cutting a wedding cake, and eight years later, we're stihl putting up with each other. No need to trade in for newer....

Yes, the 441 was certainly an oddity. They got it down with the 462 though. I have plenty of older saws here, and an 044/046 hybrid would take a 462’s lunch away, but I grab the 462 almost always.

Between my 261CM and 462 (both ported), 95% of my cutting needs are covered. They sip fuel and never need to be tuned. Start every time.

Guess I love all of them.

I just finished rebuilding my Stihl 044 and love it. Put new piston and ring throught it after the old owner left it sitting for way too long. I don't have a MS440, but I do have a MS441 Magnum. I also like that but not as mmuch as the 044. I find it a little heavier and for some reason and I could be wrong not as powerful. ( But tuning might have something to do with that.

Justin

Back