044 stalling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK never had any trouble with this saw, it's about 8 yrs old!gassed it up the other day and it won't stay running unless I choke it . I looked at it a little earlier but didn't get into it too far, could it just need a carb overhaul? would it happen that fast? I was thinking maybe a pinched gas line but seems to be a very short run to the carb, only thing I've ever done to this saw is clean the air filter and change the gas filter. :confused:

I'd check the main jet before diving into a full rebuild. Gently close the main jet, counting the turns. Then back it out about 6-8 turns, close the choke and pull it over a dozen times at full throttle with ignition off. Basically try to flush it out. Then reset the main jet back where it was, dry off the plug and see if it will fire up. This works for me a lot of times when small crud gets in the carb.
Double check your fuel pickup filter, or throw on a new one for a buck. Flush out the tank in case there is any crud in there.

Some guys can rebuild a carb and have it come out perfect every time, I'm about 40%-50%. The rest of the time I end up buying a new carb.

Last edited:

I am thinking air leak. Try treeclimbers' fix, if no go, check hoses, intake boot, and the crank seal under flywheel. Make sure the bearings have no looseness.
Let me know how you make out.

Check for water in fuel. Tis the season.

Tried Brians fix, took carb apart and cleaned out , couple times:rolleyes:
Turned out the impulse hose had come off at the crankcase somehow:confused:
Runs normal again and since I've never messed with the carb adjustments went ahead and played with it a little, runs great now.:cool:

You might want to look at the AV mounts.If they get soft,they will flex to much when you are in the cut,pulling up on the rear handle.In turn it will pull the impulse hose off the engine case.
Later
Dan

Yeah the mounts are good butit seems like the hose is swelled up a bit, have to get a new one on the next order trip Thanks

Back