044 STIHL MELTING WORM GEAR ON OILER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the 044's I have built, this is the baddest saw ever. Love the way it cuts and the power but I have a problem. When refilling the first tank of gas after building it, I found the oil tank still full. Cheers.

So you got this saw from someone as a non runner? Could it be someone has been in there and replaced parts in the powerhead before you got it? You keep ordering worm gears and you keep melting them.
Could it be that something else in the equation, something you did not replace when you built the saw up- is either not OEM or not 044 and you are trying to mate up a part that is not compatible?

Do as lone wolf says, get a good oiling 044 and compare all the parts to this worm gear frying setup- something is not right.

So you got this saw from someone as a non runner? Could it be someone has been in there and replaced parts in the powerhead before you got it? You keep ordering worm gears and you keep melting them.
Could it be that something else in the equation, something you did not replace when you built the saw up- is either not OEM or not 044 and you are trying to mate up a part that is not compatible?

Do as lone wolf says, get a good oiling 044 and compare all the parts to this worm gear frying setup- something is not right.
With a digital vernier and a pair of reading glasses! Check everything that can affect the thickness or end play in there.

I have eight 044's that I built so comparing and micing parts were no issue. Everything matches except slight difference in crankshaft machining. 8th worm gear finally showed up. 5th and 6th wear not even the correct part. Put it together without the washer between the clutch and worm gear as suggested. Oiler worked but the spring would disengage from the clutch drum sometimes. I doubled the washer on the end of the crankshaft that holds the sprocket and drum on ( behind the e clip) and all is now fine. Cut the 3rd of a HUGE hackberry that the storm has split off with no issues. Power wise, this is the most bad ass of any 044 I've ever built. Cheers.

Back